Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Expensive US made vs Chinese Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Expensive US made vs Chinese Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM
tool667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Expensive US made vs Chinese Batteries

Thanks guys, appreciate all the info.

Thanks alot tacx, you put it very clear and easy for a dummie like myself to understand
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I would stay away from the HK batteries. The are a second rate battery.
Nonsense. Most of our Heli Flyers have made the switch and noted almost identical longevity and power with lower costs.

The batteries are in no way "second rate".... Just ask Mr. "MaxAmps" himself.. Greg Convey here... who has been using them on his large scale electrics and stated the same.

I'd agree with the aftermarket support statements though... that is what you DO give up for the lower costs.

With the advertisement and the hiring of people to represent their products in the forums and paying them for praising a poor product it's hard to trust when you are getting good reliable information or information that someone is getting paid to give.

It's a proven fact that HK pays people $100 per month to promote their products in the forums. Buyer Beware.
Frank
What a nice marketing ploy... If you can't match price, and you are afraid of loosing sales, just instill fear in the buyer with a conspiracy theory.

It seems like we've heard this before, and you’re the only one repeating it. Sounds to me like the shoe may be on the other foot with those statements…

Since it's "proven" how about posting some PDF's of payment checks, or something along those lines...

Such a conspiracy ploy is certainly not the way to get MY business.

You can keep the foil hats. I'll keep using my inexpensive packs. ( I'd be happy to post photos of the nice quantity I own... )

BTW, yes Apollo 11 DID land on the moon.

Now if someone actually produced - U.S. made - batteries for the same or SLIGHtly more expensive price, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
eatmydust99

Been running the regular turnigy and nano-tech's for over 3 years now and so far so good, the one nano-tech 2s 6000mah has well over 200 cycles and is still strong as ever and no puffing, these batteries are not well looked after either especially when the 2 boys take the short course trucks out and when the LVC kicks in they just turn the switch off and back on and keep running them, try that with your TP batteries and see if they hold up. The 2 turnigy batteries I've seen run down below 3v per cell many times and there still going but loss some punch.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a fact that Hobby King advertised on their web sight that they would pay any person that answered questions or promoted their products in the forums. Anybody could see the advertisement if they looked.

So if Hobby King has to pay shills to push their products, I'll buy else where. No conspiracy, just truth and fact.

So I can't believe the statements of anyone who pushes Hobby King products. I would rather pay a higher price than pay a cheaper price for second rate merchandise.

Frank
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
opjose

It's a fact that Hobby King advertised on their web sight that they would pay any person that answered questions or promoted their products in the forums.
It sounds like your twisting the truth once more.

If you look at their site they say that they will pay in purchasing points (discounts) for anyone willing to answer questions in THEIR product forums, since they do not provide technical support.

There is nothing about going to other sites and shilling their products nor do they do so as they do not monitor these nor other forums.

Anybody could see the advertisement if they looked.
Please tell us where they say what you post here, which is something completely different?

So if Hobby King has to pay shills to push their products
Again YOU and only YOU are saying that they do so. You offer no actual proof to back up your take on things..

I seem to recall asking you to do so before and never getting a valid response.

I'll buy else where.
You're free to do as you want. You're also free to pay more than you have to too.

I don't buy conspiracy theories as a rational to follow your lead.

No conspiracy, just truth and fact.

I'm still waiting for the "truth and facts".

You've been censored and admonished by the moderators before, for pushing this kind of stuff.

So anyone following along might want to take note.

So I can't believe the statements of anyone who pushes Hobby King products.
If you apply the same logic evenly, no one would ever believe any statements what-so-ever.

I can't believe your statements. Then again I don't believe the statements of ANY sales person...

First hand experience trumps here-say.

I would rather pay a higher price than pay a cheaper price for second rate merchandise.
That's what you think your doing...

Too bad you're missing out.

To anyone else playing along, please check out Greg Convey's ( MaxAmps ) article here where he compares performance of HK packs against the more expensive name brands when he goes to configure large scale electric planes.

Also note the myriad of magazine articles which now appear about electric planes where the authors utilize HK packs.

None of this is to say that Thunder Power packs are bad, but rather "Countilaw" has an established history here of making these unfounded and disparaging assertions about competing products that really do not merit it.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll take up for Countilaw on this one. I can't pull up posts or user names because frankly I didn't care enough to save them when I saw it, but I've seen threads where someone pops up to defend HK stuff and claim it's the best value out there when it really doesn't make sense to, only to have a look at their profile and find that most of their posts are similar. So yes, there are at least a couple of people who get on RCU just to plug HK products. One in particular didn't speak English very well so I figured he was Chinese. So there is either a few people who only log in to RCU and RCG to talk about how amazingly well HK products have worked for them, or HK is paying someone probably $10 a day to be an online shill for them. Option 2 seems more likely to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a fact that Hobby King advertised on their web sight that they would pay any person that answered questions or promoted their products in the forums. Anybody could see the advertisement if they looked.

So if Hobby King has to pay shills to push their products, I'll buy else where. No conspiracy, just truth and fact.

So I can't believe the statements of anyone who pushes Hobby King products. I would rather pay a higher price than pay a cheaper price for second rate merchandise.

Frank
I've noticed this on forums, but I've only used their lipo's. i've had nanotechs and zippy's, the nanotachs aren't that good in high capacity, don't know what the new ones are like they seem to keep changing them. The zippy's don't like to have a stable voltage, when I put in storage mode I can go back a few days later and the voltage is higher than it should be, I don't know what it's like if i leave charged for a few hours, But my next packs will be nano's again.
The charger I use is the PL8, so i know it's putting in storage mode correctly and accurately.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Goldenduff

I do not work for HK (or do I?). I buy  most my stuff from them and find the price and quality acceptable. I have several lipos over 3yrs old still going strong. They do not sell top quality but they also do not charge top price. I feel I would rather have 3 Turnigy lipos etc rather than one Thunder tiger lipo. That way I can slow balance charge the Turnigy ones because as I have three I am not in a hurry. This is perhaps why they have held up so well.

At the end of the day you pay your money and you make your choice. It would be helpful to make objective statements comparing a HK product to the more expensive option. I recently bought the Rare bear from HK and 5 4cell 950mha lipos for about $100. With good battery managment I can keep the thing screaming around the skies (v fast) all day. Any company that allows me to do this cannot be all bad?

p.s. I will be the first to go mental and tell people if they send me puffed lipos etc
Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think anybody is saying that HK batteries don't work (they do). The topic is whether they are as good as the more expensive brands (they aren't) and whether they are a good value (your call). In some applications the cheap batteries work fine where the power demands are a bit lower and a touch of extra weight is acceptable. In other applications that are more demanding pilots won't be happy with HK batteries performance and durability so will need something better.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM
eatmydust99

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I don't think anybody is saying that HK batteries don't work (they do). The topic is whether they are as good as the more expensive brands (they aren't) and whether they are a good value (your call). In some applications the cheap batteries work fine where the power demands are a bit lower and a touch of extra weight is acceptable. In other applications that are more demanding pilots won't be happy with HK batteries performance and durability so will need something better.
Totally untrue, we tried different batteries before in my sons slash 4x4 and it's running Mamba Monster system and there was no difference in performance between the 2 batteries.( it was a Max Amps battery of the same c rating and mah and was 100.00 bucks more to boot).
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM
siberianhusky

It all depends on the load on the battery, if you are running something that has a low amp draw you really don't need top notch batteries, you aren't putting much stress on them.
I'm mostly a boater, none of you guys know what real amp draw is! When you start running 200+ amp setups and look at dumping 10000 mah in a few minutes the cream rises to the top.
Run cheap batteries and you send something up in smoke. Seen dozens and dozens of seriously puffed lipos. Escs literally exploding and blowing the hatch off the boat. Big Neus meting the insulation on the windings and shorting out.
Yes 95% of the people out there can run turnigy or gens ace or whatever, you really aren't stressing the battery much. The other 5% can't get away with cheap packs.
Yes in my park flier and heli I run Nano-tech or plain Turnigy, In my boats now way TP, Hyperion or Dinogy.
I also run a data logger, none of the cheap batteries can hold their voltage under heavy loads even if they have a "high" C rating.
A pair of Gens Ace 2s 5300mah 35c packs drop slightly more than 1 volt under load than 25C 5000mah Polyquests. under a 95-100 amp load.
The 6s packs we tested showed the same results. Sky lipo actually held their voltage better under load.
That 1 volt translates into about 2000-2200 potential prop rpm being lost. Could be the difference between winning or being the first loser!
You really do get what you pay for, but the majority of us in our "normal" models do not need the top end packs.
If all I did was sport boating I could prop down my setups, lose a few mph and run cheaper batteries all day long happily.
I have 100s of flights with nano techs in my heli, never had one fail. Also running them far far below maximum discharge rate and I store them properly, almost always balance charge unless I want to get one more flight in.
Select the battery according to it's use and you'll be fine with whatever batteries.
The other thing that's essential if you really want your batteries to live as log as possible is a GOOD ACCURATE charger!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM
trax de max

Well said,
+1 on the charger bit too.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Siberionhusky, what do you consider a good charger ?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 AM
trax de max

I use a powerlab 8,
Too explain why could take a while, but basically it was fully beta tested and been in the market for many years. Download the CCS and have a play with it.[link=http://www.revolectrix.com/new_applications/software/pl8_software_v2.html] Click[/link]
This is what i'd call a good charger.