Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Switching to Deans

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:56 PM
9five9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to Deans

Quick question. I bought a bunch of deans connectors to replace all my standard tamiya plugs. I'm trying to decide if it would be best to cut the tamiya plug off of my charger and put a deans on, or if I should just make an adapter with a deans on one end and tamiya on the other to plug into the charger. The reason I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not is the current would be going through four connectors before even getting to the battery itself if I made the adapter. Is that bad? or does it even matter?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Switching to Deans

It is always best to minimize the number of connectors the current must flow through. Marginal connector impedances are one of the prime causes of the problems in getting accurate peak detection by the chargers.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's no point in switching if you aren't going to eliminate the Tamiya connector. The main selling point of the Deans is that they are very low resistance, but you eliminate that benefit if you still run it through another connector also.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Rodney and jester have given excellent points for completely eliminating the tamiyas , and I agree with them. Here's a few points "on the other side"

For the model use only the Dean's , but for the charger if you used the adapter method then you'd have a bit longer lead if you needed it.

The tamiya connector will last a long time if you aren't using it (plugging and unplugging). You'd still have it available if needed on rare occasion.

If you are using NI type batts it may not affect the current or speed of charge since the current isn't even close to what a model can pull. The voltage will increase if the lead length and resistance is increased.

Tips for (used) tamiya adapter connection:

spread the pins , close the female pins slightly , push connector together by the wires to make longer,better engagement , don't plug and unplug them a lot.

Now, would I do it? If it was lipo , NO because it will increase the time spent in cv and slow down the charge. If the charger had limited power and increased the voltage to a point where it was slowing down the charge then NO. If the charger still had same current as before then YES. I may also consider making the opposite adapter to do tamiyas when needed. (Dean's to tamiya)

Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
9five9

Thanks guys. what brought this all on was that I used to have several vehicles with different plugs. I got out of the hobby for a while, and then got some new vehicles, most of which used tamiya plugs. But when I got faster cars, and higher capacity batteries, I started melting tamiya plugs, and decided to just buy a ton of deans plugs and make the switch. Obviously if I made an adapter, it would only be for the charger, but like one of you said, if I'm switching entirely to deans, then there's no point of having a tamiya plug on the charger. Looks like I'm doing a LOT of soldering today.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
kimberklr

definitely change the charger plug.

and have fun soldering.

have you ever soldered deans before?

i've been using them for many years. great connectors but you want to make sure not to over heat them while soldering.

i always solder with a male and female together as to help disperse the heat. i also like to use vice-grips to lightly hold them, saves on figure burns. lol

and i always use a small drop of liquid rosin. it just seems to flow better when i use it.

oh last thing is don't slide the heat shrink up the wire until it is completely cool. i used 10 gauge on my last packs and a couple issues with that. [&:]
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 AM
9five9

ORIGINAL: kimberklr

definitely change the charger plug.

and have fun soldering.

have you ever soldered deans before?

i've been using them for many years. great connectors but you want to make sure not to over heat them while soldering.

i always solder with a male and female together as to help disperse the heat. i also like to use vice-grips to lightly hold them, saves on figure burns. lol

and i always use a small drop of liquid rosin. it just seems to flow better when i use it.

oh last thing is don't slide the heat shrink up the wire until it is completely cool. i used 10 gauge on my last packs and a couple issues with that. [&:]
I could have learned this lesson before I started. I changed a lot of them at once, so I started with the less-important projects, like an old battery pack. I learned really quickly that you can't heat those plugs for very long. I had a male plug melt and slightly deform because it was taking forever for the solder to flow. I was able to make it work though. I also learned quickly about the heat shrinks. It really puts a damper on things when those don't go right.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:35 PM
ALWAYSPDG
My Feedback: (1)

I would consider the XT-60 connectors instead. I think they are a better connector than the deans. Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM
pilotpete2

Certainly easier to solder than Deans[8D]
Pete
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 PM
9five9

Done deal. everything is switched to deans and I'm satisfied.