Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

AC side of my Onyx 245 quit! any ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

AC side of my Onyx 245 quit! any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
stuball56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC side of my Onyx 245 quit! any ideas?

I have had the charger for only a couple of weeks, been charging nimh's with it no problem. Today I hooked up a couple of 2s 5,000mah LIPO's and triple checked that everything was set right. Charging out of both ports at 5 amps on LIPO setting. As soon as I started the charge it just went totaly dead. Now when plugged into ac I can hear a faint ticking sound, almost like a clock? Works still on DC current though.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
bgosselin

Default RE: AC side of my Onyx 245 quit! any ideas?

The ticking sound is the power supply "cycling" if it is a switching type. First, make sure your battery to be charged is hooked up in the correct polarity.

If that's not it, either something is wrong with the supply part, or something in the charger circuits are causing an overload/shortcircuit. I would try a 12 DC source; if it works then it's the internal power supply. If it's still dead, it's something more serious.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
stuball56

So I whipped up a power supply out of an old computer. 220 watt, 14 amps. The charger works great on this, but like I say, is dead on the AC input. I will have to wait until I order another charger before I send this one back for repair. Right now its my only one.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
bgosselin

Well, at least it's still usable. Depending on the warranty, you might want to open it and look for anything obvious on the AC supply side. Maybe there is a small metal object floating around, cold solder joint, etc that could be easily fixed yourself. Again, I would only do this if simply opening it won't void any warranty.