Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Battery Fails

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Harv2828

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Battery Fails

I have had four batteries ruined, some on the first run. The #6 cell of a 6S battery goes down to 3.0 while the other cells are OK. I use a Rimfire 60 motor, 6S 5000 45C battery, 100 amp esc with a 12x10. What is the probable cause...any help will be appreciated.[&o]
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipo Battery Fails

What batteries? Ratings vary. Some claims on my smaller pack purchases have been completely bogus.

You have posted similsr over a 2 year period. Same charger/tester??? Some balance lead extensions I have had have bad connectors and cause invalid errors. Something wrong definitely since I hsve never run into this on any packs over 3-4 years!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Two reasons that I can think of that will cause cell #6 to be lower than the rest at end of run.

Cell # 6 is the smallest capacity cell.
Cell # 6 started out at a lower voltage.

A couple of other reasons wouldn't show up in the first run.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Harv2828

Turnigy 6s 5000ma 45-90C
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Harv2828

Re 6S failure. I even use a balancer to ge all cells down and then when charged with a CellPro 10S all cells go up to spec except #6 which doesn't take a charge. On another charger it won't charge at all and states " bad cell count". It's a puzzelment.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Then It is probably reason 2. Cell 6 started at a lower voltage thus finished at a lower voltage.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harv2828

Turnigy 6s 5000ma 45-90C
Maybe you need to stop using HK batteries and start using a product such as Venom, or Thundertiger. I heard a lot of bad stuff about Hobby King batteries.

Frank

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Turnigy 6s 5000ma 45-90C
Maybe you need to stop using HK batteries and start using a product such as Venom, or Thundertiger. I heard a lot of bad stuff about Hobby King batteries.

Frank

Pack failures are not brand specific -
the typical failure on Lipos starts with pushing the cells past a reasonable point Any brand
We use meters and check after every flight -takes 15 seconds - IF we have pushed pack to lower than 3.7 volts per cell - we change flight time or battery/prop - whatever- to keep keep the cell from being pulled down into 3.6 -or lower.that really screws up LiPos.
The low voltage cutoff in some ESC can be changed to cutoff at a higher point . Typically those which use a programming card include this feature
Old 10-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Goldenduff

What amps do you draw?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:06 AM
trax de max

while there is some not very good lipos, A lot of the problems come from how the batteries are treated.
Using a poor charger which isn't as accurate as it should be.
If the cut off is set quite low but still at an ok level, but running till its hit all the time is not good for the battery either.
The damage is generally done at discharged voltage or fully charged voltage.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Turnigy 6s 5000ma 45-90C

I've never seen HK trash last longer than one flying season , at best , and I've got Hyperion and Thunderpowers that are going on 4 or 5 seasons with no failures . I use a Hyperion EOS0606i charger , balance charge every time , and use the packs all in the same airplanes . To me , I have seen the proof that Turdnigy IS junk and so it comes down to ; Pay more at the beginning and get better packs that last , or buy cheap and end up spending MORE by replacing the cheap packs every time they fail .

Does anyone honestly believe a cheap HK pack is comparable in quality to a Hyperion pack ? My real world flight results are all I need to see to prove buying the better packs makes better financial sense than wasting money on HK junk .....
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: init4fun

Turnigy 6s 5000ma 45-90C

I've never seen HK trash last longer than one flying season , at best , and I've got Hyperion and Thunderpowers that are going on 4 or 5 seasons with no failures . I use a Hyperion EOS0606i charger , balance charge every time , and use the packs all in the same airplanes . To me , I have seen the proof that Turdnigy IS junk and so it comes down to ; Pay more at the beginning and get better packs that last , or buy cheap and end up spending MORE by replacing the cheap packs every time they fail .

Does anyone honestly believe a cheap HK pack is comparable in quality to a Hyperion pack ? My real world flight results are all I need to see to prove buying the better packs makes better financial sense than wasting money on HK junk .....
I do - but it is dependant on size pack and application.
We buy stuf from 160 ma single cell to 5 cell at 5000 ma 40c
at $100.00 for a double pack as used for F3A - we simply cannot see using stuf which is double /triple the price when direct comparison shows little or no difference or worse yet, not as good.
Wheneach flight is same length -the same sequences -you get a very good basis for comparison.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Goldenduff

My HK (3cell 4000mah and 4cell 5000mah) are on the go up to 3 yrs later. I balance charge every time, store at 12 deg C, charge at 1C and discharge at 70% max of constant amp drain rate.

What amp did you try to get out of your 6cell?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's face it, to sell cheap you have to buy cheap. Cheap batteries are cheap because they don't pass the normal quality control standards the same as the more expensive batteries. Lipo will puff up when charged due contamination within the pack. They will puff up after being dropped or mistreated.

But mostly, HK buys cheap batteries that are substandard to start with and sell them cheap to unsuspecting people who buy only because the batteries are cheap and they think they are getting a good deal. When actually they are buying substandard batteries that can't or haven't pass quality control.

Frank
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Goldenduff

Well I have bought so many HK lipos that are good that even if the next 5 10 I buy are rubbish I will not be out of pocket. I rarely charge over 1c, balance charge them 9 out of 10 times and draw about 70% of their theoretical constant output. I live in Scotland so it's too easy to store at 10 deg C. Never had trouble with several 3 and 4 cells.

Again, what amps was the original poster trying to draw from the 5amp 45c 6cell lipo? More than 150amps I would say is too much.....

Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

Wow Frank, check your sig line. You appear to have made it your JOB to slag HK LiPos in every thread they are mentioned.
Are you payed by another battery supplier to do this?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1THEPALMER

Wow Frank, check your sig line. You appear to have made it your JOB to slag HK LiPos in every thread they are mentioned.
Are you payed by another battery supplier to do this?

[8D] Frank , Like just about any other thinking person is , , , Is reflecting on the fact that HK actually has the gall to advertise for help wanted from regular hobbiests to SHILL their products on the various RC forums . It's been reprinted DOZENS of times in various threads around here (the HK want ad looking for shills , that is) . Now since HK won't play by the rules and have their paid reps wear the "I work for HK' logo in their avatars , it makes any and all on line praise they receive suspect . Let me ask you a question here , , Do you have any proof that Frank may be in the employ of another hobby company ? Can you show me an ad from ANY other RC company advertising for shills like HK has done ?

I'll say it again ; Since HK advertises for people to praise their products on line , without identifying themselves as HK employees , ANY AND ALL HK PRAISE IS NOW SUSPECT !

What's so hard for you guys who are enjoying the HK "Bargains" to understand about that ?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Goldenduff

I'm enjoying bargains and appreciate that some of their products are sub quality.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM
trax de max

ORIGINAL: Goldenduff

I'm enjoying bargains and appreciate that some of their products are sub quality.

I'm just tight, Not one of the 4 packs have caused any concern for me. But I have read that people had problems with the high capacity packs not being reliable and unstable. I would still buy from them as good brand batteries are just too expensive for me.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Goldenduff

I agree, I would be grounded without HG. However I would probably buy more expensive if I had heaps of money!