Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Are nicads history?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are nicads history?

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I also keep my NiCad and NiMh batteries on trickle charge (C/50) so they are always ready to go. I have done this for years and my packs last at least 5-6 years this way.

A continuous trickle charge is NOT good. The cells will vent and lose capacity. I lost a very nice scale bird (Swallow) to this practice. I now let my nicad packs set for a couple months during the winter and charge once about mid-winter.

I believe you mean C5 or C10, as C50 is 50% charge per hour.
All I can say is that a trickle charge (C/50 or 20 ma for a 1000 mah battery) has worked for me for 30 years with out any problems. One thing though, many people mistake a slow charge (C/10 or 100 ma for a 1000 mah battery) for a trickle charge. A slow charge will do just what you said - cause the battery to vent over time. A trickle charge just replaces the charge lost to natural NiCad battery self discharge.

Bruce
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM
landeck

Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is that a trickle charge (C/50 or 20 ma for a 1000 mah battery) has worked for me for 30 years with out any problems. 

C50 is C/50 or 50% capacity/hour. 20 ma into a 1A battery is 2%, as far as I know that's not enough to do the job. I don't doubt your 30 yr span of 'good luck', as I too thought I was doing well until my crash. 

What kind of charger are you using to get that low? Is it a constant 20 ma? Have you cycled the battery recently?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
landeck

All I can say is that a trickle charge (C/50 or 20 ma for a 1000 mah battery) has worked for me for 30 years with out any problems.

C50 is C/50 or 50% capacity/hour. 20 ma into a 1A battery is 2%, as far as I know that's not enough to do the job. I don't doubt your 30 yr span of 'good luck', as I too thought I was doing well until my crash.

What kind of charger are you using to get that low? Is it a constant 20 ma? Have you cycled the battery recently?
First, we have a terminology problem. C/50 is C (capacity in mah) divided by 50. For a 1000 mah battery, the trickle charge rate is 1000/50 which equals 20 ma. This charge rate will take a looooong time to charge a battery but will not harm a NiCad if left on. It will keep it fully charged.

I use a number of different chargers. From the '80s I have four Ace chargers that charge at a slow rate (C/10) for 15 hours and then automatically switch to a trickle charge (C/50). My newest chargers are GP ElectriFly AC Park Flyer Peak Chargers which are set to peak charge at 500 ma and then automatically switch to trickle charge.

Bruce
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
eddieC

Bruce, you are correct on the C50. Brain fade.  [X(]

I'm switching to a123 tech in any event, as my Nicads are getting pretty old and unreliable. 
Old 02-26-2013, 12:02 PM
landeck

Eddie, I am too thinking about trying A123 batteries.

Bruce
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Bruce, you are correct on the C50. Brain fade. [X(]

I'm switching to a123 tech in any event, as my Nicads are getting pretty old and unreliable.

How old ot too old for Nicads, as I have some that are all of 8 years old that are still giving excellent service and show no apparent signs of breaking down. I treat my batteries with lots of TLC, never overcharging and cycle them every few months.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
eddieC

Lol mine are so old I can't recall how old. 

We do have guys flying 10+ yr old nicads, they cycle & baby them too. Sometimes they quit with no warning, as I've had happen. 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is good to see Landeck useing the proper terminology when talking of trickle and slow charge. He is very correct, trickle charge is defined as just that amount of charge to compensate for the leakage current of fully charged batteries. However that is hard to correctly define as it can vary from a few microamperes to a milliamper or so depending on the age of the batteries and the temperature. Slow charge is typically defined as about 0.1C but different suppliers may use slightly different rates. Theoretically, trickle charge will never harm a cell no matter how long it is applied. A slow charge probably will not do much if any harm as long as the temperature of the cell is not allowed to get to high. How much is "to High", a difficult number to ascertain. I have never seen any tests to show what are safe upper extremes of temperature. It probably is quite dependent on the quality of the separating membranes in the individual cells as that does vary between manufactures and whether or not the cells are designed for high current usage or low current usage such as flashlights, transmitters etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Clay Walters

I haven't used nicad in years and much prefer NIMH. You can charge NIMH with your Nicd charger, same settings. But I'm also using A123 LifePO4 batteries and like the steady voltage and storage charge life. But they're not for everything. On small models with cramped quarters a small 4.8c nimh pack is sometimes a better application. Thought I'd heard that A123 went out of business. Is this not the battery folks?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM
eddieC

They went bankrupt but were bought up. Will still be available AFAIK.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds scary switching to NIMH. So, a 1000 mah NIMH can be charged no problem at 100mah for 14-15 hours? Sounds to me like that would be too much. I dont know anything about peak charg\ing and all that stuff. I just want to plug it up, go to bed, and go fly the next day. i dont enjoy playing with batteries...gonna order something today.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
bignasdy

let me ask this off the walll question..
.Ive had more servo and switch failures since I started using 6 volt paks over 4.8....is this just all in my mind?
d
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you can do just what you want. Both NiCad and NiMh have similar characteristics and both can be safely charged at about 0.1C for extended periods without damage should you leave them on for an extra 24 hours. What damages them is heat; as long as they do exceed ambient temperatures by more than 10 degrees, you will not damage them. More are ruined by fast chargers that miss the peak or are charged so fast they get excessively hot than ever got hurt by slow charging to long. The Nixx batteries charging cycle is not very efficient; you have to put in about 120% of the amount you take out to recharge them. That is why it is wise to charge them for 14 to 16 hours at 0.1c after they have been discharged in use or when new. Contrary to what is often seen on the forums slow charged cells will last longer (more charge/recharge cycles) than those fast charged using peak detection.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
bignasdy

well, Im on batteries america site right now....cant decide...prolly gonna stick with what I know....nicads LMAO Im soooo undecided I appreciate the input

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Clay Walters

bignasdy,

One of the best things I ever did was to put my wall warts away and purchase a Turnigy Accucell 6 charger from Hobby King. Once I figured it out I find it very easy to change between battery chemistries and do just as you say...put it on and walk away. No more false peaks with Nicd or Nimh and it will charge Lipo and LifePO4 just fine. I've used it for all of those not to mention it also will cycle batteries if you wish and will balance charge the various lipo chemistries. Once you make your settings as per the battery manufacturer's recommendations (printed on the packs usually) you just let it run on Auto and it goes until the battery is fully charged. You can set the time limit for charging, peak voltage, or capacity as limits. I removed the timer limits and set the voltage and capacity. It cuts off when it hits one of those (so far the voltage) and reports how much it put back in and how long it ran. It is modeled after more expensive chargers, uses the same menu but doesn't have the memory or usb port so mine do not store my settings even though the menu indicates it does. I believe they used to include those features but no longer in keeping with the economy pricing. But mine have worked flawlessly.

Clay
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
bignasdy

just ordered nicad pak from batteries usa
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM
landeck

Good choice!

Bruce
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

just ordered nicad pak from batteries usa
Nothing at all wrong with Nicads. Just be sure to check date codes to make sure you are getting fresh stock. Contrary to popular opinion, they are still produced in most of the common sizes. Some say they are only available from old stock.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

I wrote about it once in MA. I forget but one of the IC components in the servos was only rated between 3.2v min and 6v max with a typ supply value of 4.8v. So if you supplied it with a 4.8v you were operating quite safely in the typ condition characterization range. 6v was on the high end but safe and within the manufacturers characterization range. But going to 6.6v.. as with 2 cell Life and A123.. well that would not be recommended. Since that time though servos have changed for the better. And now you have HV servos that can operate with a 2 cell lipo supply.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is that Nicads are the most reliable and predictable batteries out there. I used to have several 20 plus year old military surplus 2000 mAH cells that I used for various ground applications. I characterize my battery packs occasionally to see how they are doing and here is a 15 year old Sanyo receiver pack still putting out its rated 600 mAH. Unfortunately, its transmitter mate started a linear voltage decline right away so it is not usable, and I'll have to keep a closer eye on this receiver pack. My experience with metal hydride and lithium based batteries are that they will fail unpredictably, and that they are much more sensitive to improper charging techniques than Nicads. I certainly hope Nicads are not history as this retro-grouch wants to keep using them as well.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go on ebay and you will find what your looking for. Battery packs either 4.8 or 6.0 come in two sizes double A and sub C. High current drain requires Sub C packs and for everthing else you can run double As. I use nothing but JR battery packs but there are other brands to choose from. Word of advice stay away from batteries made in China.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

bignasdy,

One of the best things I ever did was to put my wall warts away and purchase a Turnigy Accucell 6 charger from Hobby King. Once I figured it out I find it very easy to change between battery chemistries and do just as you say...put it on and walk away. No more false peaks with Nicd or Nimh and it will charge Lipo and LifePO4 just fine. I've used it for all of those not to mention it also will cycle batteries if you wish and will balance charge the various lipo chemistries. Once you make your settings as per the battery manufacturer's recommendations (printed on the packs usually) you just let it run on Auto and it goes until the battery is fully charged. You can set the time limit for charging, peak voltage, or capacity as limits. I removed the timer limits and set the voltage and capacity. It cuts off when it hits one of those (so far the voltage) and reports how much it put back in and how long it ran. It is modeled after more expensive chargers, uses the same menu but doesn't have the memory or usb port so mine do not store my settings even though the menu indicates it does. I believe they used to include those features but no longer in keeping with the economy pricing. But mine have worked flawlessly.

Clay
I want to give you a prize!!! Can't seem to convince a lot of people. The HobbyKing LIFE packs(1100mah) are completely dependable for 40-60 size analogue servo type models and that charger does a bangup job. Why not an inexpensive charger and $10 or less packs of 1100 capacity??!!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 AM
bchapman

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Go on ebay and you will find what your looking for. Battery packs either 4.8 or 6.0 come in two sizes double A and sub C. High current drain requires Sub C packs and for everthing else you can run double As. I use nothing but JR battery packs but there are other brands to choose from. Word of advice stay away from batteries made in China.
I only use JR packs as well. Japan is known for good quality control. As I'm sure you know, Horizon has quite a few NiCAD transmitter and receiver packs available. I use some NiMh but still like the NiCADs. I've never used LiPos because of the fire hazard. I've seen a few that caught fire and don't want them in my model.

Here's a link:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p...:cp=1/:ip=45/:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.