Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo not fully charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Navin1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo not fully charging

I just charged my 5000mah 2s lipo battery on a balanced charge and when it said it was full, it was charged to 8.4v but only to 4650mah in stead of 5000mah like it should be. The battery does have a crack in the hard case which I taped over. I think the crack happened when I hit my buggy off a curb. The battery tray is slightly bigger than the two batterys that fits into it so I'm thinking it slid forward and cracked. I have since put a layer of foam padding around the battery tray to give my batterys a more snug fit.
does anyone know why the battery isn't charging to its full 5000mah and is there anything I can do to fix it? The battery is new and has this has been its 3rd charge.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lipo not fully charging

The battery most probably had some energy still stored within it. If so it will only charge so that the residual plus what you now input to it is enough to fill it up. If the final voltage was 4.2 volts/cell, it was fully charged. Note that the 4.2 volt/cell value is not 100 percent accurate as the true value will vary slightly with temperature but should be very close to that value.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Goldenduff

Hello- the low voltage cut off should stop the buggy when 20% of the capacity is remaining. Therefore the charger only needs to put 80% in. Your battery is fine.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Navin1980

Thanks for that, I was hoping it would be something simple!! Just another thing, I have just finished charging the 2nd battery that runs my buggy and that charged up to 5000mah. The two batterys are used at the same time to make up 4s. Should that battery of only charged up too 4650mah too like the other one? Also the last time I charged my batterys the charger got very hot but this time it only got warm. Is this a common thing to happen? Sorry if these question sound stupid but I'm new to lipo batterys!!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Goldenduff

No two batteries are the same- manufacturing tolerances. Perhaps the resistance of one of the batteries is more/less. I would label the batteries 1 and 2 and jot down mah replaced for each. Also label the series connections. It might be the harness has more resistance and therefore you should alternate which battery you connect to the connections so one battery doesn't degrade quicker.

I've heard some lipos improve after a couple of cycles- perhaps your charger is less stressed now the batteries are "loosened" off?!...

Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to hijack this thread but something of interest here. My fairly new A123 1100 mA pack discharged from a fully charged state on my Accucell 6 charger down to 4.0 volts only shows 713 mA and when balanced charged to FULL the pack only took 750 mA with both cell reading 3.60 volts and a pack voltage of 7.18 volts. I thought that for a 1100 mA pack both the discharge and balanced charged values would be higher. Is this normal for a A123 pack ??