Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Measuring battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measuring battery discharge

How can I measure the discharge rate on a 2000 NiMH pack? I only have a model 73 Fluke multimeter.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the DVM's have a current measurement capability.
I don't know if the 73 has this function. If not you would end up using a low ohms value current "shunt",
and measuring the voltage drop across it.
E=I x R, I = E/R
E = Voltage drop across the shunt
I = Current
R = Shunt resistance

If you intend on really getting into Lipo powered models,
a power meter might be nice to have.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

I use a West Mountain Radio CBA http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...oducts_id=cba4

It will discharge batteries at a programmable rate and will graph the voltage over time displaying the total amp hours discharged. This way I can ensure that my batteries are up to snuff.

In fact, I just finished testing a homebrew A123 flight pack that unintentionally sat on the shelf fully charge for a year. I cycled it once and graphed it against its discharge curve from about 2 years ago and looks great with over 2,000 mAh under a 2.30 amp load and a 5.6 volt test cutoff voltage.

I understand the Powerlab chargers can do something similar.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM
chuckk2

The CBA is a bit pricey! $159-199
Battery monitor (already have one that will beep when low cell drops to programmed voltage)
Load one or two 12V 50W bulbs Parallel for 4C & below, series for 5C and above
Total cost of load (Bulbs, wire connectors etc.) $20 or less depending on bulbs used.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
SkidMan

Yeah, the new ones are expensive. A year ago or so I bought the version 2 for $50 used and haven't looked back.

Like you say a battery monitor works fine for determining when a NiMH needs to be recharged. However, determining how much power it is actually able to discharge over time takes a little more work. Like Chuck points out you can measure the current by the voltage drop across a shunt and and by recording that and the voltage a timed intervals you can compute how many amp hours the battery put out before needing to be recharged.

I would, however, not try to discharge a NiMH battery at 4C and greater rates. When cycling a 2,000 mAH battery I would probably test it at 1/2A or maybe 1A.

Paul
Old 08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
chuckk2

A NMIH receiver battery should be tested at about the same discharge rate as it will have in use.
I'd think that a 2000mah NMIH would have a rated continuous discharge current.
The last time I looked into NMIH ENLOOPs the discharge rate vs. voltage drop limited the discharge rate to below 2A for a 2000mah battery.
High peak rates can cause digital receivers to reset, etc. due to momentary voltage drop.
For smaller NMIH batteries, my usual chargers, (BC6 and a four port) work nicely for charge slow discharge, and cycling.
Although, I generally only use NMIH and NICAD batteries for bench test. My A/C models are electric motor LIPO powered, so I use a combination of ESC BECs and external BECs as required.
For instance, electric retracts on a separate BEC.
The "higher" current light bulb loads are most useful when you have LIPOs that need to be discharged to storage.
Using a power meter in conjunction with a battery monitor that has an alarm will easily tell me what amount of charge (mah) was available between full and storage levels.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM
SkidMan

Originally Posted by chuckk2
A NMIH receiver battery should be tested at about the same discharge rate as it will have in use.
Thumbs up!

Based upon the 2000mAH size I'm guessing that these are AA sized cells. I hope this means that it is going into a relatively small aircraft with relatively low power requirements. If the plane is larger, has a lot of powerful servos, is gasoline with an electronic ignition, or is flown in a manner that requires a lot of power (e.g. 3D) I would recommend a different battery chemistry. Personally I would go A123 or LiFe but even NiCd's can handle higher current loads better than NiMh. While not all NiMh cells are created equal, I am comfortable using NiMh in planes with 4-5 analog standard servos (hence the 0.5 to 1.0 amp discharge suggestion - the actual flight current may peak above and below those values.).

Originally Posted by chuckk2
The "higher" current light bulb loads are most useful when you have LIPOs that need to be discharged to storage. Using a power meter in conjunction with a battery monitor that has an alarm will easily tell me what amount of charge (mah) was available between full and storage levels.
Like you wrote in this post, the 50watt light bulbs will work well for Lipos. However, I would not advise using them with 4-5 cell AA NiMH packs. Lipos are capable of much higher discharge rates than NiMh. Sustained 4-5C discharge rates are nothing for most lipos but are above the call of duty for most AA-sized NiMH cells.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:42 AM
WestCoastD

Can I use my older (popular) ACE R/C "DigiPace" nicad cycler to cycle LiPO packs?

I am primarily an RC boater. I have used several SR brand nicad packs-- 500mah , 600mah, 1000mah 6V Rx packs, and 600mah 9V Tx packs.

Will the LiPO pack characteristics/specs prevent proper voltage cut-off or charge rate? Hope I'm expressing myself clearly here.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
shonny

How about using the ESC and some light bulbs of appropriate voltage and wattage plus a stop watch? That way at least you don't risk discharging the Li-Po too much. And you know when the batteries are discharged in that the light bulbs are switched off.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Unless you want to see fireworks and start a roaring blaze, you never charge anything lithium on a Nicad / Nimh only charger. The charging process is completely different. Just get a $40 LiPo / LiFe / Li-ion charger that will also do nickel packs and you're in business.