Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:44 AM
RCer22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference?

Hey folks
I am looking for new batteries for my foamy airplane. The old ones just don't charge anymore. I need 1320mah 3 cell packs.
Looking at a few websites they mention not only lithium polymer but also lithium ion and lithium iron phosphate type batteries.
I think the lithium iron phosphate batteries are a different voltage than the others.
It is claimed (on the site) that lithium ion batteries hold up better than the lithium polymer batteries.
What is the general opinion and do these different type batteries need a different charger than the one I use with my lipos?

Thanking all in advance.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do these batteries need a different charger?
That depends on the charger you are using. Mine can be set to charge any that you mentioned.
The typical charger that is supplied with an RTF foamy will usually properly charge only batteries
that are very similar to the ones supplied with the model.

The LiPo's that were likely supplied with the foamy provide the maximum power to weight ratio, compared to the other types.
A LiPo is in fact a type of lithium ion battery. Other versions may have slightly different chemistry and physical construction,
as well as a rigid case.

One problem I ran into with the batteries sometimes supplied with the model has to do with the "protection" circuitry
that may be in the battery. Charging the same type and size battery without the built in protection circuit can result in an overcharge
with dire consequences. (bulging, venting, and so forth)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:38 AM
RCer22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding
I'm talking about regular 3 cell 1320 lithium polymer batteries that I bought when I bought the plane as a kit. With the recommended power plant and ESC these were the batteries that were recommended by the plane manufacturer.
I would like to try the newer lithium ion batteries and would just like to know what the difference is between to the two types. I have two chargers that I can use.
One of them is an ICE that is capable of charging several types of batteries but doesn't say anything about lithium ion but does charge lithium polymer.
Is there a difference in the two types of batteries? I believe that they are basically the same but don't really know.
Any more input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you give me any details concerning the LI batteries you are thinking about using?
I suspect that the details will come close to your LIPOs, although I may be wrong.
One difference that seems to be fairly common is the weight may be more for the same capacity.
The usual Lipos
4.20v per cell full charge Do not ever exceed voltage is usually 4.25-4.35v
3.7 to 3.8v nominal rated voltage per cell
3.2v common minimum voltage per cell under load. (older ones may survive well at as low as about 3.0v)
1C charge rate, unless otherwise stated.
Discharge rate seems to be over a wide range, and may not be accurately stated.
For instance, a 5000mah 6 cell may show 50C, but the wires, connectors, and solder pads are not capable of the actual current
for more than a few seconds, let alone several minutes.

Some of the older? industrial LI batteries had a much lower rated voltage, around 3.3v as I remember.
I guess "milder" chemistry was the cause.