Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Onyx 230 and LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onyx 230 and LIPO

So I have an Onyx 230 charger. Works just fine for all of my NiMH's, but I was wondering about LIPO. According to the directions, you can just plug it in and go. It'll charge everything. Just make sure you have the settings right for the battery size, etc. I was always under the impression that you needed a separate plug for LIPO's to balance the charge. The 230 does not come with one, and I was a little concerned about just plugging one in and letting it fly. Anyone have any knowledge about this? Is there a part missing, or that I need to pick up before charging?

Thanks for any information!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by B192734
So I have an Onyx 230 charger. Works just fine for all of my NiMH's, but I was wondering about LIPO. According to the directions, you can just plug it in and go. It'll charge everything. Just make sure you have the settings right for the battery size, etc. I was always under the impression that you needed a separate plug for LIPO's to balance the charge. The 230 does not come with one, and I was a little concerned about just plugging one in and letting it fly. Anyone have any knowledge about this? Is there a part missing, or that I need to pick up before charging?

Thanks for any information!
I believe you need a balance board
Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an external balancer you'll need. something like this, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Cell-Balancer

Most, if not all lipo chargers now come with integrated balance ports to plug the lipo's balance wires into. Some have one slot, this is where the balance boards are used for different cell count lipo's, Or if the lipo has a different balance connector to what's on the charger.
Different lipos have different balance connectors, The most common type is JST-XH.

Last edited by trax de max; 11-28-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Would something like this http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Balanc.../dp/B008PAC5O6 work for it? I am trying to figure out exactly what the most useful piece is before I go and buy one.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM

It should do, but i'm guessing it could be a clone, if that may trouble you.
This is the original. http://www.rc-news.de/06/2012/graupn...rentlademodus/
Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Not being able to read German...they look the same, but I can't find anything for sale here under listed with that name. I wonder if it's only available as that specific model across the pond? If it is a clone, do you think that based on price it may not be quality, or probably work just fine?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Really, I don't totally know what I'm looking at, so what would people recommend to get for charging Lipo with the current charger that I have and not buying another?

Last edited by B192734; 12-04-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: my poor grammar
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM

So I have been trying to figure out the process here and have a question for clarification.

If I have the Onyx 230, which says that it can charge Lipo's, to just put a basic charge into the battery I should be able to just plug in and change the settings and go. That should charge the battery and be able to use it. I don't need any other hardware for it.

But if I want to balance the cells, then I need to get the balance board. Correct?

Then I hook up the charger to the power source like normal, then plug the balance into the charger, and then the battery into the balancer? Do most balancers come with the types of plugs to go straight to the charger, or do I need something specific?

I guess that was more than one question, so sorry about that...just trying to wrap my head around this before I buy some stuff that is incorrect.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Before balancers came out, lipo problems whilst charging was high. Balancing reduced this by a great deal.
I'm not 100% sure how balancers are connected and if they're all the same.
99% chargers have integrated balancers which is maybe why it's difficult to find modern info.
Some clones are ok, but it's all down to " would you trust it, Or, is it worth the risk over a few dollars, to what could happen if it went wrong."

http://www.graupner.de/mediaroot/fil...b_DE_EN_FR.pdf
scroll down to page 10 for english.

Last edited by trax de max; 12-05-2013 at 03:03 PM.