Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Cellpro 8 accessories needed to daisy chain 2 MPA boards

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Cellpro 8 accessories needed to daisy chain 2 MPA boards

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
rodders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cellpro 8 accessories needed to daisy chain 2 MPA boards

Hello
As in the heading is like to buy a cellpro 8 and 2x MPA boards to be able to charge at least 8x (4s) packs at the same time. I run 2x 4s 5000 mah packs in series to form one pack (8s).

it says I can daisey chain these together in the MPA advert but can't find details of it.

what other items do I need ( apart from a cellpro8 and 2x MPA boards) if any?

Regards
rodders
Old 08-21-2014, 05:45 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One MPA to MPA cable
This looks like the correct one , Even though it says MPA to other, etc.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...2/MPA-XH-X10_2
Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 AM
rodders

Thanks chuck

Regards
Roddders
Old 08-23-2014, 02:18 AM
chuckk2

I forgot to mention the possible need for an additional Banana Plug main battery charging cable or extender.
You can make or buy. Powerlab does sell a pigtail with the 40A fuses installed in line, and the fancy banana plugs.
(I'd make one for my use if I needed it!)
A problem I see with using two MPAs is basically real estate. I have enough trouble
with bench space for one MPA and 6 attached lipos. Recently, I purchased a DPL-8 with two MPAs, and this shows
how much space can be needed.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rodders
Hello
As in the heading is like to buy a cellpro 8 and 2x MPA boards to be able to charge at least 8x (4s) packs at the same time. I run 2x 4s 5000 mah packs in series to form one pack (8s).

it says I can daisey chain these together in the MPA advert but can't find details of it.

Regards
rodders

You can use coupon code bisb14 to save 10% on chargers, LiPos, and accessories when ordering from the Revolectrix.com website.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckk2
I forgot to mention the possible need for an additional Banana Plug main battery charging cable or extender.
You can make or buy. Powerlab does sell a pigtail with the 40A fuses installed in line, and the fancy banana plugs.
(I'd make one for my use if I needed it!)
A problem I see with using two MPAs is basically real estate. I have enough trouble
with bench space for one MPA and 6 attached lipos. Recently, I purchased a DPL-8 with two MPAs, and this shows
how much space can be needed.
I've recently started using their SPA boards and am quite happy with the space savings. I'm a bit surprised these aren't more popular. However, I'm only parallel charging 2 packs at once. For charging a large number of packs at once the MPA is probably a better option.

http://www.revolectrix.com/cellpro_adapters.htm
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 AM
chuckk2

Hello

Regards
rodders
Parallel vs series charging
The most obvious issue is that 2 4S lipos have two 4S balance connectors. These would need to be combined into one 8S balance connector,
with the 2 4S connectors in the correct order if you were to try to charge the lipos in series.
Parallel charging is what the MPA is designed for, and this eliminates the need and worry concerning a "y" combiner.
Charging 8 4S 5000mah packs in parallel - - -
At a 1C per pack charge rate this would call for a total charge current of 40A (Maximum rated charger charge current)
A 2C charge rate would require more than one charger.

Going back to a series charging scheme, only one charger and MPA would be needed. The however is that
adapter cable are needed for the power/charge connections to the Lipos.
You would end up with four 4 to 8 balance adapter cables, and four power/charge adapter cables.
The complexity is enough that the potential to have inadvertently connected things improperly is much greater.
This assumes that four pairs of two Lipos in series will be the charging configuration.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Hello

Regards
rodders
Yes, you can daisy chain multiple MPA boards together. There is a socket on the MPA specifically for this. This is the cable, and the only item you need to do this:

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...SPA/MPA-XH-X10
Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some MPA boards have wires coming out the board to add your own connectors for the batteries, the older MPA boards have deans connectors on the board and would need adaptors if your not using deans on your batteries.