Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

newbie help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 AM
redstarman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help please

hi all

Bought by sons a A978 Rc car for his birthday

After a few plays the battery refused to charge
I sent it back to nitroteck who (eventually) replaced it

My question is this :

THey told me it is a "lipo typo battery, it needs a minimum voltage to work - fall below this and the battery will not charge and needs replacing"

So now I have a new battery and I dont know what to do ---- I just assumed we could charge it - runs it till it stops and then re -charge.

Can anyone advise me on the basic procedure for this type of batteyr??

apologies if this is confusing or in the wrong section

amy help appreciated.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What you have been told is quite correct. Each cell in a LiPo battery must never go below 3V and ideally not below 3.3V.
Normally the electronic speed controller is set to cut the power at a critical voltage so none of the cells go below 3V. I don't know it the one in the car has this capability or if it does it may not have been set correctly.

Next comes the charging process. I presume you have a charger specifically designed for a LiPo. LiPo are very sensitive to over charging which can damage them just like running they too low. In the worst case overcharging cause them to catch fire and burn fiercely!

I hope this helps
Old 01-08-2016, 05:21 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what an A978 RC is but if it came with a LiPo battery then it should be set-up to run that type battery. If it came with a NiMh battery and the LiPo was optional then there is a good chance that the speed control (esc) is set incorrectly. If it is set to run a NiMh battery and you put in a LiPo battery then it will run the LiPo battery down too far and ruin the battery pack.
We need more detailed info.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:25 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

redstarman1
I can only find information on the WL 979 4 wheel drive dirt truck. That uses a 1100mAh 7.4V 2 cell LiPo but does not mention the charger.
Does your battery have two different leads coming from it?
One with just two wires (red & black) leading to it. The other with 3 but smaller wires leading to a white plug?
What do you plug in to charge the battery?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please do a bit of research on caring for a LiPo battery. Improperly used, they can be quite dangerous as if accidentally shorted out or of overcharged can burst into a rather intense flame and a great deal of obnoxious smoke that will be difficult to remove the after effects from the area. You definitely will need a charger that is built to charge LiPo's and keep them balanced.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:32 PM
denikena

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will run the LiPo battery down too far and ruin the battery pack.