Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

What is the best 5, 6, or 7 cell nim battery pack available at amazon.com?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What is the best 5, 6, or 7 cell nim battery pack available at amazon.com?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the best 5, 6, or 7 cell nim battery pack available at amazon.com?

One has to consider the best value.

-How long is the run time a single charge?
-How many times can the pack be recharged over its service life?
-How well-made and reliable is the product overall?

I want a light, compact, flat battery pack to power a 380 single motor in a mild-mannered 1/15 scale boat.

Every NiMH pack listed on amazon.com has mixed reviews.

There are such brands as Venom, Traxxas, Duratrax, Racer's Edge, Rage RC, and Tenergy
but none seem to get perfect reviews on "zon dot kom".

Nim technology seems to be the best compromise in battery types out there: a great trade-off in reliability, price, ease of use, longevity, run time on a full charge when compared with NiCad or LiPo.

It seems as they can be recharged reliably without being completely depleted but won't cry out in pain if they were to be drained dead. I don't think these batts need break in also.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your just getting back into Rc then go with lipo batteries lots of advantages over traditional batteries. You will need a special charger but they are available for low cost. 1500 mah 7.2 v lipos can be had for under $10 at places like HobbyKing. Run time is going to be based on motor wattage and amp draw. Might as well go all the way and get a brushless motor and esc combo.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:09 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to operate my true-scale boat at low speed and I gather a brushed motor works best for flexible low speeds. I also gather LiPo is sensitive to being depleted of charge. NiCad/Nim seems to be more forgiving of charge depletion. My old sailboat model used NiCad for the Rx/Tx and that worked fine then. Of course, I will order an esc designed for brushed motor use. I am looking for authentic scale behavior, not speed demon velocities.

I just noticed this pair of Venom nymph 6-cell 3000 mAh's on Zon for about $35 a pair! They get 93% 5-star ratings from customers.

http://www.amazon.com/Venom-3000mAh-...l+nimh+battery

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-09-2016 at 12:25 AM.