Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Bad Venom pro 2 charger was bad NIMH battery help

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Bad Venom pro 2 charger was bad NIMH battery help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 AM
slimdiggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Venom pro 2 charger was bad NIMH battery help

I received my brand new RC truck yesterday with my new Venom Pro 2 charger. I took the 1800 nimh 7.2v pack that came with the RC and put it on the charger.

I charged the battery at 1.8A needles to say 80 minutes passed by and on my charger it says the following:

80 minute charge time charging at 9.0V and 2620 mah have gone into the battery. The battery was hot to the touch and I quickly shut off the charger. Needless to say the charger did this on my other venom 3000 pack.

after discussions with Venom support they are now sending me a new charger and battery since they determined I received a bad charger. My big question is how can I determine if the 1800 battery I have is still good? how can I check it? I'm new to the hobby so this is frustrating to say the least. I have a local hobby shop which I can bring the battery too but, me personally I would like to know how to check a NIMH battery to confirm it's still good or if it's garbage. I don't want to put this in my truck and have it burn out the new motor.

Thanks,
slim
Old 03-11-2016, 06:36 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

You can check it by testing the voltage with a multimeter. If it is sky high for a 6 cell pack, then it is most likely bust. However, doing that to NiMH/NiCD packs (overcharging) was extremely common back in the day of brushed motors and AM/FM transmitters so the racers could get the most punch out of their batteries. Also, what car is it? If the car supports a 7 cell NiMH, it should be able to handle that overcharged 6 cell.

Sorry that you've had this experience with Venom products and I hope customer support makes it right for you!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:42 AM
slimdiggie

Venom/atomik is sending me a new charger/battery today, unfortunately I spent all that cash on a brand new truck, charger and batteries for it only to be bad. Their customer service was good I'm just frustrated.

I purchased the following truck http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX03003 What should the voltage be for a 6 cell pack?

have you seen issues like this with the Venom Pro 2 charger where it doesn't automatically stop charging when the battery is complete?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:00 AM
collector1231

Ah, gotcha. A fully charged NiMH cell is around 1.4V, 1.5V at max, which is 8.4V for a total pack, but this is at most. I have not seen an issue like this with the Pro2, I think something's just messed up on that particular charger. If it happens again, than you probably aren't configuring the charger right in some way. The Pro2 is a well-tested charger, so most bugs should have been fixed.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 AM
slimdiggie

Originally Posted by collector1231
Ah, gotcha. A fully charged NiMH cell is around 1.4V, 1.5V at max, which is 8.4V for a total pack, but this is at most. I have not seen an issue like this with the Pro2, I think something's just messed up on that particular charger. If it happens again, than you probably aren't configuring the charger right in some way. The Pro2 is a well-tested charger, so most bugs should have been fixed.
the charger settings were all set to default for NIMH. Sounds like I just got a bad charger.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM
collector1231

Yup, sounds like. This one should be better!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:06 AM
slimdiggie

just went to my local hobby shop the 1800 nimh battery was at 8V 8.1V you think its ok to run in my truck? hobby guy said yes.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM
collector1231

Yup, I'd try it.