Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Help! at what point do Lipos become unbalanced?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Help! at what point do Lipos become unbalanced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Joe1199

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help! at what point do Lipos become unbalanced?

I am using 2 5s 5000mah in series and have recently been getting an error alarm on my checker saying the packs are unbalanced, i charge the packs individually and I do balance charge and the figures are usually roughly

this doesn't suggest a bad cell but what could be causing this, I was always under the impression balance charging wasn't advisable every time? Is it just my checker being over cautious?

can I safely run the packs at these levels?

thanks
joe
Old 03-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe1199
I am using 2 5s 5000mah in series and have recently been getting an error alarm on my checker saying the packs are unbalanced, i charge the packs individually and I do balance charge and the figures are usually roughly

this doesn't suggest a bad cell but what could be causing this, I was always under the impression balance charging wasn't advisable every time? Is it just my checker being over cautious?

can I safely run the packs at these levels?

thanks
joe
Hi Joe,

Personally I would have no issue running that pack.

Your numbers show less than 1% variation between cells and most of my Lipos are the same.

Do you follow the 20% rule? i.e. Don't discharge more than 80% of the pack's capacity in normal use.

What type of charger are you using? Does it also show individual cell voltages. Can you measure them with a proper multimeter also?

Another thing to check is the cell voltages after use, are they still within 1%

e.g. 3.71, 3.70, 3.69 etc.

If you have a larger difference at this point then it might indicate a failing cell.

Do do the packs get hot or puffy after use?

I balance charge every time - it takes a bit longer but won't hurt the battery at all.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-12-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added last comment on balance charging.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:52 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

..., I was always under the impression balance charging wasn't advisable every time? Is it just my checker being over cautious?...
I was always under the impression balance charging should be done every charge unless your cells are known to be discharging at different levels everytime, or really out of whack when LVC kicks in. For me, keeping track of all my 2S/3S/4S packs, and which cells play well with others, I just storage charge a LiPo pack almost every time after use, and balance charge the pack before almost every use.

Those numbers that are shown in OP are well within "usable" voltages. Those numbers can't be after a charge. Are they?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:32 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It may be time to clean all the connectors. Dirt you cannot see can cause much of the differences.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:09 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Charger Being Used?

... i charge the packs individually and I do balance charge and the figures are usually roughly

this doesn't suggest a bad cell but what could be causing this, I was always under the impression balance charging wasn't advisable every time? Is it just my checker being over cautious?...
I still would like to know if those numbers ^^^ are after a balance charge. 'Cause at the end of a balance charge your cells should be showing 4.19v ~ 4.20v per cell.

What is the safety timer set at on the charger?

Possibly someone is mistakenly thinking a "safety timer" alarm is the end of a balance charge. I know my three chargers all have a default safety timer setting of 90 minutes and sometimes that is not enough time to fully balance charge a pack. Depending on what charger you have, and how much wattage is harnessed through it; will determine how many amps and how long it will take to you (OP) to charge them 5S packs.