Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Batteries difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:00 AM
egrave1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries difference

Looking for opinions on which batteries to use for RX NiMH or Lipo
Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I recommend LiFe (A123) 6volt. I use 2 LiFe Batteries, 2 switches plugged into 2 ports on the receiver. I have changed all my plane to this system, works great.

Rich
Old 08-13-2016, 06:03 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with those LiFes. They have a severe drop off characteristic and because of their flat discharge characteristic you can not determine where you are on its discharge from measuring its voltage. You will have to know the capacity you need and the capacity of the battery as you fly. Not many people know this who are using them. Use the NiMHs. Dan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LiFe discharge-curve.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2176771  
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dan, you are correct about not knowing when to recharge. I monitor my flights and batteries and charge them often. I probably charge too often.
Rich
Old 08-13-2016, 07:51 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich, you know what you're doing. Not many guys at my field do. Here's a good procedure to try to help you along. Balance charge your LiFe receiver pack or packs. Fly for an hour. Balance charge your receiver pack and write down the mah you consumed. Let's say it's 1000mah. That means that you drained your batteries at a constant rate of 1000ma for one hour. Of course there were peaks and minimums but the average was 1000ma. If you fly for one hour a day, double that for a safety factor of two. Your battery should have a minimum capacity of 2000mah. Does it? Dan.