Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging discrepancy in instructions

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging discrepancy in instructions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charging discrepancy in instructions

I'm an experienced RC Car guy, but new to flight. I picked up a Dromida Vista for Xmas, and am having a good time with it. It uses a 1S Lipo battery. The instructions from Dromida say to charge the battery up after use. Um, doesn't this go against the leaving Lipos charged is not a good idea thing? Granted, the supplied USB charger isn't capable of doing anything fully charging the battery, but, with the supplied 850mah pack, the cut off voltage on the Vista is just about storage voltage. So, would it not actually be better to leave the flight batteries UNCHARGED?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 PM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, yeah, as far as I know that rule includes 1s lipos, though they may not be as sensitive. Whenever you have a chance, pick up some 1s lipo extensions, cut one end off and use it to charge from a normal charger. I just fly half as much as I normally would on the last flight with my inductrix, but the lvc on that is lower than nominal.

Hubert
Old 01-12-2017, 05:05 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't charge the pack until you plan to fly the copter again. Like all LiPos, they will live longer if stored at around 50% charge.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, that's what I thought. I did buy a female plug to use with my regular charger. So I could charge the flight packs a little faster than the USB charger. That's how I discovered that the Vista cut off voltage was about 3.8V. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to just time flight, then just half it. Been OK for past year of use but that's stored away from the house as I have no idea what the voltage is.