Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hyperion 6061 “voltage too high”, “open circuit”

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hyperion 6061 “voltage too high”, “open circuit”

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 02:22 PM
xcz5785
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hyperion 6061 “voltage too high”, “open circuit”

I’m having issues with charging 2s LiFe batteries only. It happens randomly but with certain batteries more than others. I’ve tried with and without the balance plug. It happens a lot more when I charge through a MPI switch/charge port. It still happens occasionally directly to the battery. All cells are balanced within .01 of each other and even when they are at 3.32 I get “voltage too high” sometimes “open circuit”. I read on another thread that another model of the Hyperion chargers probably blew a mosfet resistor. Could this be the case?

Last edited by xcz5785; 06-05-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:27 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by xcz5785
I’m having issues with charging 2s LiFe batteries only. It happens randomly but with certain batteries more than others. I’ve tried with and without the balance plug. It happens a lot more when I charge through a MPI switch/charge port. It still happens occasionally directly to the battery. All cells are balanced within .01 of each other and even when they are at 3.32 I get “voltage too high” sometimes “open circuit”. I read on another thread that another model of the Hyperion chargers probably blew a mosfet resistor. Could this be the case?
Not likely a "MOSFET" problem, a MOSFET is a transistor (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) and like all transistors they usually do not fail in the way you describe. What your describing sounds more like an intermittent connection, perhaps the charge leads your using to connect the batteries to the charger. If the charger works fine on all other modes of operation my inclination would be to blame the charging leads or the batteries themselves. Both "voltage too high" and "open circuit" are indications that for whatever reason the charger has stopped "seeing" the batteries load, have you tried charging the batteries that exhibit the problem on a different charger?
Old 06-06-2021, 05:07 AM
xcz5785
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not likely a "MOSFET" problem, a MOSFET is a transistor (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) and like all transistors they usually do not fail in the way you describe. What your describing sounds more like an intermittent connection, perhaps the charge leads your using to connect the batteries to the charger. If the charger works fine on all other modes of operation my inclination would be to blame the charging leads or the batteries themselves. Both "voltage too high" and "open circuit" are indications that for whatever reason the charger has stopped "seeing" the batteries load, have you tried charging the batteries that exhibit the problem on a different charger?
I have two of the same chargers. Both have the same issue. However I am sharing a charge lead as I just got the second one. I have material to make a new lead. I’ll try that. Obviously I didn’t know what a mosfet does. Electronics are not my thing.

Last edited by xcz5785; 06-06-2021 at 05:31 AM.