Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Max battery too use

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 05:10 PM
Zactmead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max battery too use

Have a 2wd bandit with Tazer 3300 motor, tazer 45a esc v2, 86 spur and 31 pinion.... What is the max c battery I use?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:14 PM
ticedoff8

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

45c
Old 02-08-2022, 07:39 AM
Zactmead

Currently using a 50c and no excessive heat to motor nor esc
Old 04-05-2022, 01:04 PM
Tphage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are asking what is the maximum discharge rating on any battery you are considering ( i.e. how much current the battery itself can safely supply ), I don't believe there is an upper limit. Your motor will only draw the current it is able to draw, according to your throttle position. If this is less than what the battery can safely supply, you are good. The "extra" discharge ability of a high "C rated" battery is just surplus to your needs. An adequate battery supplies only as much as the motor draws ( asks for ).

So if there was such a thing as a 200 C battery, but a 50 C was all you motor set-up required, then you would have no problems using the 200 C. ( Remember when choosing the C rating of a battery, that you also have to consider the battery's capacity ( mAh ) at the same time, as the C rating is based on the battery's capacity. )

Your battery needs a minimum C rating for your set-up, but there is no maximum. You can use as much C rating as you can want. It's just that the extra will be wasted ( and you'll pay for it ).

Last edited by Tphage; 04-05-2022 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-06-2022, 07:01 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tphage
If you are asking what is the maximum discharge rating on any battery you are considering ( i.e. how much current the battery itself can safely supply ), I don't believe there is an upper limit. Your motor will only draw the current it is able to draw, according to your throttle position. If this is less than what the battery can safely supply, you are good. The "extra" discharge ability of a high "C rated" battery is just surplus to your needs. An adequate battery supplies only as much as the motor draws ( asks for ).

So if there was such a thing as a 200 C battery, but a 50 C was all you motor set-up required, then you would have no problems using the 200 C. ( Remember when choosing the C rating of a battery, that you also have to consider the battery's capacity ( mAh ) at the same time, as the C rating is based on the battery's capacity. )

Your battery needs a minimum C rating for your set-up, but there is no maximum. You can use as much C rating as you can want. It's just that the extra will be wasted ( and you'll pay for it ).
The first bolded part above is correct but the second part is not - for example, you can get 30C batteries less than 1000 mAH to greater than 5000 mAh. Max current from a battery is determined by both the C rating and the current rating. The max current of a 1000 mAh battery is considerably lower than the max current of a 5000 mAh battery. Max current is the important part.

Last edited by rgburrill; 04-06-2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:17 PM
Tphage

Re-reading my answer, yes I definitely left out information. An error in explanation but not in my understanding.

I do know that the current rating of a battery is found by multiplying it's C rating by it's capacity.

That's why I said the C rating is based on it's capacity, meaning the C rating needs to be used together with the capacity, to find the current rating. That last part being what I left out - my error.

QUOTE=rgburrill;12722764]The first bolded part above is correct but the second part is not - for example, you can get 30C batteries less than 1000 mAH to greater than 5000 mAh. Max current from a battery is determined by both the C rating and the current rating. The max current of a 1000 mAh battery is considerably lower than the max current of a 5000 mAh battery. Max current is the important part.[/QUOTE]

It is easy to make a wording mistake in technical matters as you will probably agree you have done it too.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:43 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tphage
...It is easy to make a wording mistake in technical matters as you will probably agree you have done it too.
In over 50 years as an engineer if I had never made a mistake I would never have learned anything. But admitting a mistake is inversely proportional to the severity of it.

BTW, marketing and engineering don't work well together and marketing is pushing C rating. How many batteries do you see advertising max current in Amps?
Old 04-08-2022, 10:59 PM
Tphage

Originally Posted by rgburrill
In over 50 years as an engineer if I had never made a mistake I would never have learned anything. But admitting a mistake is inversely proportional to the severity of it.

BTW, marketing and engineering don't work well together and marketing is pushing C rating. How many batteries do you see advertising max current in Amps?
Never heard that one before. I like it !
Old 04-28-2022, 06:50 PM
johyn55

I am also using 50c.