Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

issues with i max b6 alternatives?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

issues with i max b6 alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 12:11 PM
datboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with i max b6 alternatives?

so i have a imax b6. i seem to have an issue with it. the voltage is calibrated properly.

at rest it gives the right voltage. so for example 1.5v. when i begin charging or discharging a battery, if i check the voltage shown on the display, and the one shown by a multimeter, it is now off by quite a bit (like 0.15mv)

i think this is a original version, at least that's what it was sold to me as.

can someone with this charger verify for me please? check if with no load on the battery the voltage displayed is correct, then apply charge/discharge and check again.

mind you, i checked everything that could cause this error. connection is good and clean, tried with different batteries and different battery technology (ni-mh li-ion etc)

is my charger faulty or do others experience this issue? it seems that the bigger the charge/discharge rate, the more inaccurate it gets,

it also seems to have a hard time detecting end voltage for ni-mh. i set the detection to 5mv 7mv 10mv 15mv and 20mv, but it seems to make no difference. it sometimes overcharges batteries even tho they might be in good condition (so low internal resistance etc)

i'm also wondering, are there good alternatives? i really like the functions on this charger. the fact that i can charge all battery technology's and that user can tweak everything like voltage, cap limit, time limit etc.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:11 PM
Tphage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by datboi
so i have a imax b6. i seem to have an issue with it. the voltage is calibrated properly.

at rest it gives the right voltage. so for example 1.5v. when i begin charging or discharging a battery, if i check the voltage shown on the display, and the one shown by a multimeter, it is now off by quite a bit (like 0.15mv)

i think this is a original version, at least that's what it was sold to me as.

can someone with this charger verify for me please? check if with no load on the battery the voltage displayed is correct, then apply charge/discharge and check again.

mind you, i checked everything that could cause this error. connection is good and clean, tried with different batteries and different battery technology (ni-mh li-ion etc)

is my charger faulty or do others experience this issue? it seems that the bigger the charge/discharge rate, the more inaccurate it gets,

it also seems to have a hard time detecting end voltage for ni-mh. i set the detection to 5mv 7mv 10mv 15mv and 20mv, but it seems to make no difference. it sometimes overcharges batteries even tho they might be in good condition (so low internal resistance etc)

i'm also wondering, are there good alternatives? i really like the functions on this charger. the fact that i can charge all battery technology's and that user can tweak everything like voltage, cap limit, time limit etc.
Are you asking for a check of battery voltages showing on the charger display, before charging starts and then immediately after charging has begun ( while its still on charge ) ?
Old 04-12-2022, 02:43 AM
datboi

Originally Posted by Tphage
Are you asking for a check of battery voltages showing on the charger display, before charging starts and then immediately after charging has begun ( while its still on charge ) ?
correct.

if you have a b6. take a battery, hook it up to the b6 with no load. also connect a multimeter to the battery. in my case, with no load both will show the same voltage. when charging/discharging beings, b6 shows the inaccurate voltage. the higher the charge/discharge rate, the more inaccurate it gets
Old 04-12-2022, 02:05 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the B6 shows higher voltages during charge, then it's likely losses in the wiring and the connector with increased current. As the current goes down, the difference between what you are measuring at the battery and what the B6 measures at the charger will reduce.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:00 AM
Tphage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are my results from my B6 ( V2 ) with a 3300mAh 3S battery.

The first number in each row is the charge current, the second is the B6 voltage and the third is the multimeter voltage.

0.0A 11.62V 11.62V
0.1A 11.62V 11.62V
1.0A 11.63V 11.65V
2.0A 11.66V 11.68V
3.0A 11.68V 11.71V
4.0A 11.71V 11.75V

Last edited by Tphage; 04-13-2022 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Align columns better
Old 04-13-2022, 07:00 AM
datboi

Originally Posted by Tphage
Here are my results from my B6 ( V2 ) with a 3300mAh 3S battery.

The first number in each row is the charge current, the second is the B6 voltage and the third is the multimeter voltage.

0.0A 11.62V 11.62V
0.1A 11.62V 11.62V
1.0A 11.63V 11.65V
2.0A 11.66V 11.68V
3.0A 11.68V 11.71V
4.0A 11.71V 11.75V
yep, that's way more accurate than mine. mine is off up to 0.18v and calibrating it doesn't fix this issue. guess i'm getting a new charger....