Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Heaviest battery load.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Heaviest battery load.

What is the heaviest lipo, or alternative battery load you fly E-powered model? Please post only models at "7 " and over kilos AUW, (15 lb and over) type of model that also require MOP - model operation permit, to make it more interesting than light wing loaders, as I have intention to open up another topic on the lightest wing loader battery models.
So let's see what you got and fly.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Joseph Frost

Reserved for Frosty.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:16 PM
Joseph Frost

Just finishing off my latest project, something different for a variety to keep the RC hobby going. This time converting jet turbine Delta Giant, "Touch of Magenta" to hot EDF power. 10+ years of kero power was long enough, in this World of fossil fuel histeria, LOL.
Loading it up with 3.5 to 4.5 kilo of lipos will give me 10 kilos of thrust at bursts, compare to 6 kg I was getting out of 60 size turbine in 10+ kilo AUW model.
The only draw back is being a heavier model, especially while landing it same weight as taking off at some to 11 kilos on larger capacity load.
Great new challenge, now slightly re-modified to reduce the wing load by adding fixed canards and removable slide on winglets.

From this to -

- to this.

E-power conversion.

First spool up as E-power.

My latest addition to heavy lipo loaders.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:55 AM
Joseph Frost

"BBB" - Big-Bigger-Biggest, an appropriate tittle I have christian this scratch build delta jet giant some 11 years ago. Another heavy battery carrier, ranging from 3 to 4 plus kilos in 12S/8-10Ah combo of highest C- rate 6S packs hooked in Ser/Par. plus 6 Volt NMHi load to run controls.
Model is fitted with powerful 127mm multi blader fan spinned by Scorpion outrunner via 160 A modified speedy, I often push to well over 200 amps, peaking on short bursts at 240A!

In making.

Shortly after disastrous maiden flight!

All sorted out the next day after re-positioning batteries.

The rest is a history with nearing 1700 missions to date.

Just another day outing.

Regular visitor to various Clubs.

Mod. speedy to keep it cool.

In the gum boots good enough flying off the goat track field.

Showing it off at the major Jet Meet.

At another field.

Sandy pit, my favored playground.

Hooking it up for another joy flight.

My favored site.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:09 AM
Joseph Frost

This model "90mm EDF Hawk" is nowhere near the 7 kilo AUW, half of that, but I love to share the most horrific catapult launch in its 12 year old history! I took it out only to discharge one of my larger 6S/9Ah pack which is twice the weight of the packs I normally use. I was well aware it will be very nose heavy as I couldn't move the pack any further back so added 100g aft balast to correct it slightly, but still too nose heavy which is not much of an issue with the full moving El. stabs.
Didn't pull my cord hard enough, the video footage shows the rest! LOL. Enjoy it.
(The most overloaded bungee launch!)

1/2 a kilo heavier than normal!
Old 07-21-2022, 12:23 AM
Joseph Frost

Lot easier getting airborne with my latest converter, turbine to an EDF, taking only 40 meters to get off the ground at 12 kg AUW, it used to take good 100m as turbine version being 2 kilo lighter. LOL.
(Magenta re-maiden as an EDF)