Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Super Turbo and Car Battery Charger?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Super Turbo and Car Battery Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 09:53 PM
aero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Turbo and Car Battery Charger?

Just got my Super Turbo from RC Accessories Friday- Thanks Evan, it's everything I had hoped it would be.

Unfortunately, the instructions indicate not to use a car battery charger as the power source when charging at home. Anyone know why? The output voltage and amperage are within the range specified by the ST.

Thanks,
Rod
Old 05-25-2002, 10:34 PM
k7dfw
My Feedback: (3)

It's a charger and not a power supply. The output of the charger can exceed the 15.0 volt maximum input to the Dymond. It's output voltage is not constant. There is no regulation and there is no filtering.

Not on a good day.

Rolynn
Old 05-26-2002, 11:00 AM
gottafly

Default power supply

Aero,
Red turned me on to a couple of links to buy cheap power supplies after I bought my super turbo.I ended up going with the 5amp constant 7 amp surge pyramid , I have only small packs..
650mah - 1100mah but the little pyramid has never failed to give enough power.I'll try to put the links on here.

http://www.efunctional.com/new-pyra...r-supplies.html

http://www.millionbuy.com/caudio-kit-sup.html

http://www.valcoelectronics.com/

If I didn't get these on here right search in batteries for a thread titled super turbo by gottafly and you can find red's reply to me with the links. Good luck .....gottafly
Old 05-27-2002, 03:51 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Computer power supplies work fine as well. Most 300 watt supplies are rated for 7-8A on the 12V output.

There is a trick though. The 5V line has to be loaded for the supply to regulate properly. I have an old HD plugged for this.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:52 AM
aero

Default Thanks

I'll charge with my field battery for a while and eventually break down and buy a regulated power supply. Thanks for the information.

Best Regards,

Rod
Old 05-29-2002, 02:40 PM
hebertjj

Rod,

As K7 noted, a batt charger is not a regulated supply, don't try it, you'll fry it.

As flatfour noted, an old PC pwr supply makes a great, cheap, (but ugly) supply. I scrounged an old 486 supply for $0 that had a 7 amp rating on the 12V side and put a 15 ohm, 15 watt (5 watt will do, or a 10 ohm, 5 watt) power resistor across the 5 volt (black and red) wires to load the PS so it will come on. The older 486 pwr splys tend to have higher 12V ratings than the newer PS, so a 300 watt unit may not be necessary; just make sure the 12V side is rated at 7 amps or better.

Joel