Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Litco Real or Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:04 PM
RCJones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Litco Real or Scam?

Sorry,
Alpha 4
Old 02-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I've got three Alpha 4's myself, and I ordered two of them in the last year having no problem with the "timing" needed to get on their "anointed" list.
The Alpha never was designed to be a fast charger of the type needed for electrics so I don't feel that the 1 amp limit is a deficiency of the product. Besides, a 1 amp fast charge is plenty good for TX and RX packs for field charging and without the risk of damage. I'll be the first to recommend that if your into electric motor packs and need to fast charge at several amps, then the Alpha 4 simply wasn't made for you so there's nothing to complain about.
I DO like that the C and I devices are perfect for NimH batteries so that saved me a bunch when I started getting into those and didn't have to buy a dedicated NimH charger.

Highflight
Old 05-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: rajul

Very nice looking charger. When will this be available ? No specs can be seen from the Orinoco site.
So far it is still vaporware. No specs. No introduction date. No price given. 600 watts - 16 amps charge capability. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was doing a search on alpha4 and found an old thread which says that it uses a breadboard instead of a pcb. Has anyone opened their alpha4 to see the circuit construction inside ?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I opened up one of my older ones a couple years ago. I was expecting to be blown to bits as people were saying it was bobbytrapped! I'm still here, and that Alpha is still working fine for the friend it was sold to (he's the one that wanted to peek inside, and we wanted to readjust the LCD anyway). Here are the photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32716.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	129810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35902.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	129811  
Old 05-06-2004, 10:00 PM
rajul

Steve, thanks for the pics. It's pcb allright. All the markings on the ic chips have been sanded away, for obvious reasons.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:54 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

There is a lot of mystery and mistique surrounding the Alpha 4, some old wives tales (bobby-trapped), and lots of emotions from those that have and those that don't. To me, its just a great little charger
Old 05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: sfaust

I opened up one of my older ones a couple years ago. I was expecting to be blown to bits as people were saying it was bobbytrapped! I'm still here, and that Alpha is still working fine for the friend it was sold to (he's the one that wanted to peek inside, and we wanted to readjust the LCD anyway). Here are the photos.
looks older than me, no SMT componets?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: rajul

Steve, thanks for the pics. It's pcb allright. All the markings on the ic chips have been sanded away, for obvious reasons.
my guess is that the big one is the firmware chip. Looks like a 40 pin intel memory chip (80's).
Old 05-08-2004, 12:36 AM
rajul

Could be Atmel too........