Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobbico Power Core 12v Charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Tester 6
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Power Core 12v Charger

Has anybody checked the voltage on the Hobbico PowerCore 12 V charger with the LED, used to charge the Hobbico PowerCore
Starter Battery. The Data Plate on the charger states output 12V @120 mah, My previous battery went dead wouldn't charge,
I ordered a New Battery and before Charging i checked the charger output, it was 16Volts! I figured it fried the old battery,
so I ordered a new one, checked it and it also read 16 Volts! Anybody think this is correct? I feel it should be 12V, am i wrong?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Hobbico Power Core 12v Charger

I would normally recommend that you charge a 12 volt pack at 14.5 volts.
16v is a little high.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Tester 6
My Feedback: (1)

I still don't think a 12V 1.2 amp hr., Sealed Lead Acid Battery should be charged at 16V@120mah. Anybody think Hobbico has
a group of bad chargers on the market ? Hobbico tech support told me that some batterys require higher voltage. I know the
battery gets very hot when charged as I rigged a test set-up to charge it outside of the PowerCore Housing, something I never
did with the old one.

Has anyone had a similar issue with the PowerCore 12V charger?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Hangtime
My Feedback: (19)

Nope.. I haven't looked at one myself.. coupla questions pop up tho.

Have you checked the voltage at the battery while it's on the charger? Often I see gel and lead acid chargers showing some pretty high voltage 'unloaded', and the output drops to 14.5 volts when connected to the battery. Next question is whats going on with amperage? Whats the amerage at the start of charge? Does the amperage drop off as the charge progresses? Does the voltage drop off or remain failrly constant?

Normally, we'd expect to see the amperage come down (decrease) and the voltage remain fairly constant at about 14-14.5v as the battery's state of charge increases.

Hope this helps..
Old 04-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Due to the way a constant voltage source charges a pack. TO keep the current high, you may need a higher voltage 16v. You cannot leave it on indefinetly but it will be good for a quicker charge than a 14.3 volt source.

ORIGINAL: Tester 6
I still don't think a 12V 1.2 amp hr., Sealed Lead Acid Battery should be charged at 16V@120mah. Has anyone had a similar issue with the PowerCore 12V charger?