Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Attn: Hobbico Elite Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Hobbico Elite Owners

PLEASE Actual Elite Owners:
I am getting ready to purchase one of these and I want to know if it displays the amount of charge that has been put into the pack either during the charge process or after the charge process. I want to quick charge packs and know how much has been put into them.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:22 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Attn: Hobbico Elite Owners

Geistware, TH has not started shipping yet until July, I believe. The online manual is not yet available in Hobbico's site. I am eager to find out how reliable the charge termination is for Nimh.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:26 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

I backordered one earlier this month and the estimated delivery date was "late June" a week or so ago they changed it to "Early July". Now it back to be listed as "late June". Hopefully within the next week or so we'll get them.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:29 AM
rajul

Coo, hope you'll receive it soon and give us a review
Old 07-02-2004, 06:08 AM
coomarlin

I just got a shipping confirmation that the Elite is on it's way. It should be here tomorrow. I'll post some pics and let you know what I think. Now I just need to get off my duff and order me an electric plane with some liths [8D]
Old 07-02-2004, 06:25 AM
rajul

Coo, I hope that you can post the page on charge termination off the manual. The online manual is not available yet as of now. Thx !
Old 07-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Geistware

I received confirmation and said it was going to be delivered tomorrow?
Didn't know they delivered on Saturday but we shall see.
I just need to know how much is going into the pack.
I get a lot of voltage drop with NiMH and don't want it to go down too low.
I will post as much info about the charger as I can.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:09 AM
coomarlin

Rechecking the fedex tracking number now shows that I will get the Elite today! July 2nd. Very cool. indeed. I'll try to scan the manual and post it to my website.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
rajul

ORIGINAL: coomarlin
I'll try to scan the manual and post it to my website.
[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-03-2004, 04:00 PM
coomarlin

I've scanned the manual and posted it to my website. It's not much, but I think it good enough to read. Haven't had much time to play with it. I have a few packs cycling as we speak.

http://www.windyridgerc.com/accucycle_elite/
Old 07-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Geistware

Thanks for the posting, It looks like it does keep track of the energy that has been put in the pack. That is why I wanted it.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
GGregori

Thanks for scanning and posting the manual. I have one that's been shipped but didn't get it today. At least I have some reading material.

George
Old 07-03-2004, 08:03 PM
rajul

Coo, thanks for posting the manual ! Let us know how well the peak detection works for Nimh batteries.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Geistware

I am interested in how well the until can show the amount of charge that goes into the pack
Old 07-04-2004, 08:50 AM
coomarlin

The unit clearly shows the amount of mah that is put into the cell after a charge.

I have some questions about charging that you guys may be able to help me out with. I've been using an Einstein XL which doesn't give me very much in terms of configurations. So after looking at my Elite I'm kinda overloaded with options.

I've been charging and cycling my NiCD and NiMH packs
600mah 4.8V NiCD
700mah 9.6V NiCD
1200mah 4.8V NiMH
1650mah 6V NiMH

1) What charging rates would you recommend for these packs. I know c/10 is a safe normal rate, but what if I needed to quick charge these packs. Is 1C acceptable or can I go higher? That majority of times these packs will not be completely empty so a 1C charge will be take less than 1 hour. The Elite's recommendations seem to be around C/3. I think it suggested charging my 1650 pack at 650.

2) The default cutoff voltage on the elite is 1.1V/cell. But I've read a lot of posts that indicate that 1.0V/cell might be more appropraite. I have even read to use .9V in some cases. What is your opinion on this?

3) The default discharge current is 300mA. I've seen some people suggest 500mA. Any opinions?

4) The default peak sensativity is 8mV. To be quite honest i'm not really sure where to go with this one. What should I be looking for in this area and why would I adjust it?
Old 07-04-2004, 08:54 AM
rajul

Does the Elite measure voltage with the current on or off ?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:12 AM
CJMeredith

I can't seem to get mine to measure voltage unless it is actively charging or discharging, so it appears that the current must be on. The instruction manual doesn't address it, but I'll continue to experiment with it.

coormarlin...I can only answer your second question. I know that 1.1V/cell is a common figure to determine actual flying time on a charge since some receivers may not operate effectively below that voltage. However, it seems that a lot of battery manufacturers measure capacity based on .9V/cell. So, if you want to check a new battery against the manufacture's rated capacity, use .9V/cell. But, if you want a more realistic assessment of oeprational time, use 1.1V/cell. Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter which you use to check the health of your battery as long as you're consistent. I'll leave your other questions to those more knowledgable than me.

Chris
Old 07-04-2004, 11:23 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Here is you charger .pdf file. Ill leave it up till tonight. If somebody could copy and host it that would be good. 4.25 Meg 31 pages

http://home.rochester.rr.com/sar/charger.pdf
Old 07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Geistware

I think I can answer some of these questions.
1) Sanyo and Panasonic recommends C/1 for 110% charge time.
2) I would use the working voltate and the needed current.
For me that would be 1 amp with cutoff at 1.1 volt per cell.
That is where I will be limiting my application (TX and RX)
3)I would use the current that the battery will see in your application.
For me that is 1 amp for RX and 300ma for TX
4) I can't answer and don't know what to say.

The unit clearly shows the amount of mah that is put into the cell after a charge.

I have some questions about charging that you guys may be able to help me out with. I've been using an Einstein XL which doesn't give me very much in terms of configurations. So after looking at my Elite I'm kinda overloaded with options.

600mah 4.8V NiCD
700mah 9.6V NiCD
1200mah 4.8V NiMH
1650mah 6V NiMH

1) What charging rates would you recommend for these packs. I know c/10 is a safe normal rate, but what if I needed to quick charge these packs. Is 1C acceptable or can I go higher? That majority of times these packs will not be completely empty so a 1C charge will be take less than 1 hour. The Elite's recommendations seem to be around C/3. I think it suggested charging my 1650 pack at 650.

2) The default cutoff voltage on the elite is 1.1V/cell. But I've read a lot of posts that indicate that 1.0V/cell might be more appropraite. I have even read to use .9V in some cases. What is your opinion on this?

3) The default discharge current is 300mA. I've seen some people suggest 500mA. Any opinions?

4) The default peak sensativity is 8mV. To be quite honest i'm not really sure where to go with this one. What should I be looking for in this area and why would I adjust it?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:10 PM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: bkf

Here is you charger .pdf file. Ill leave it up till tonight. If somebody could copy and host it that would be good. 4.25 Meg 31 pages

http://home.rochester.rr.com/sar/charger.pdf
Thanks dude. I incorporated your PDF into the website I made.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:13 PM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: Geistware

600mah 4.8V NiCD
700mah 9.6V NiCD
1200mah 4.8V NiMH
1650mah 6V NiMH

Geist what do you mean by 110% charge time?

Also does the RX really draw 1A? Is it that much higher than the TX?
Old 07-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Geistware

I went back to both Panasonic and Sanyo website and they have changed rapid charging to 1C with a specific temp and voltage for cutoff. No longer do that specify C at a particualr time. This is the second time they have changed it in two years!

AS far as your second question. My RX only draws 10ma but the servos draw about 1 amp average. (6-12 minute flights on a charge). The TX has been timed at 5.5 hours until it beeps (Futaba 9C) using a 1650 pack.

The new sanyo specs not tell you how to set the trickle charge for the NiCad cells. C/50-C/20
I need to update my site to reflect these new changes.

ORIGINAL: Geistware

600mah 4.8V NiCD
700mah 9.6V NiCD
1200mah 4.8V NiMH
1650mah 6V NiMH

Geist what do you mean by 110% charge time?

Also does the RX really draw 1A? Is it that much higher than the TX?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:00 PM
coomarlin

Hey Geist. What would you recommend? Say for instance say I've flown 3 or 4 flights with my 9.6V TX 700mah pack. The voltage is down around 9.8V on the TX. I want to top them back off before I go flying again. What charge settings would you recommend? I could set them at 1C and they would be charged fairly quickly, but would it be better for my packs if I just set them up at C/2 or something more conservative? Is it smart to fast charge if you really don't need to?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Geistware

I would charge it at 300ma, so between .2 and .4a
Remember that low voltage is 8.8 volts so you have a lot left.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Sailor

Just a guess here: I suspect that Hobbico didn't publish the manual on their website prior to shipment due to the fact that both ports cannot use a different memory location at the same time. In the manual it states that if the batteries are not the same, then one can be charged from a memory location, and the other must be set manually each time.

Just a guess...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.