Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery check

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:19 PM
SteveB52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery check

I am new to the sport what is the best way and device to check my battery life, flight time etc on my plane and transmitter ? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 06-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Battery check

I wold recommend the Triton or Accucycle Elite chargers.
The Triton is out onw, the Accucycle will be available in August
Old 06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
azvmax

The best way or overkill way would to get a battery cycler as stated above.
Then chart every 5-10 or so to see where the battery drops off.
When you discharge a battery pack, most cycler's bring the pack down to .9 or .8 volts per cell.
You never want to go below .8 volts per cell because a weak cell in a non-matched cell pack my have the chance of being reversed.
Even though I have, by mistake left my plane on and drained it over night the pack still checked out fine after.
This is just the possibilities.
When I due this test I discharge higher than I estimate my plane to draw, like 2x as much.
This way you are super safe.
Example~ Lets say my plane draws 150mah's whaile in normal use.
I would set my discharge to 300mah and observe how long it will stay at 4.8 volts before dropping off.
Rule of thumb never fly with a pack beloow 4.8 volts, that is if you are using a standard 4 cell pack.
5 cell is differant some will think they can go down to 4.8 but not true in my opioion.
If you go down to 4.8 you are very close to where the pack will drop completly off.
NiCad's dilliver current pretty good right up to the drop off point.
Meaning the discharge curve as a steep drop off or knee atr the end of its current delivery.

Also Radio shack sells a meter for around $70 that connects to your computer and does the sampling and charting for you.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=22%2D812

AZVMAX
Old 07-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Dr R H Malik

hi
if you are looking for a voltmeter, then i recomend, Hobbico Mk III . this has a digital readout and is loaded to 250mA (appox the load on Rx bat during flight, with standard servos)

on the other hand i think the best charger is Cirrus Pro, it is designed for Tx & Rx charging simultaniously and "no nonsense" type built. Most of the other chargers have single out put (for elec planes & cars)

regards
Dr R H Malik
Old 07-27-2004, 09:28 AM
kadet
My Feedback: (5)

Check out the Analyzer+ from Hughes RC or the Super Test from Sirius, both work well and both are accurate. I have both, but I use the Analyzer+ because it does 2 packs at once, and has additional features. The website if your interested, for both of these units are [link]http://www.hughesrc.com[/link], and [link]http://www.siriuselectronics.com[/link].