Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Super Nova connected through power panel starter plugs?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Super Nova connected through power panel starter plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 10:23 PM
sgtladich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Nova connected through power panel starter plugs?

Can I put bananna plugs on my Super Nova and connected it through my Deluxe power panel? (Through the 12V starter connection.) Also, the charger requires a 12V source with at least 10A draw. My battery is rated at 7.2A. Will I have any trouble? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

If you are asking if you can use your field box battery (7.3 AH) to power you SuperNova for field charging the answer is yes. Realize that you are limited as to just how many packs you can charge from the flight box battery without having to recharging it.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:51 AM
sgtladich

electronically can I plug the super nova into the power panel? (Through the starter connection.)
Old 07-21-2002, 03:07 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Default Yes you can

On many power panels there are two separate 12 volt outputs. Like was mentioned the number of charges will be dependant on the amout of power is in the 12 volt battery powering your power panel. Also your supernova does not require 10 amps unless you charging at maximum output. If you are charging at 2 to 3 amps or even five amps your gel cell will charge the packs. The question is how many times.

If you had a 12 volt deep cycle connected to your power panel you could charge your batteries at full power all day long.

If you are charging rx and tx battery packs you should be able to get 2 or 3 charges from a gel cell. If your planning to charge large electric motor flight packs you will have to get a car battery with more power than the 7amp get cell.

Also if you using a regular car battery..........dont discharge it down to much.........it will have a short life span if you do. That is why we sailplane guys always use deep cycles batteries for our winches..........which also doubles as a field battery charge sourse as well.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:07 PM
sgtladich

For clarification purposes I've attached this image. Is it OK to connect through the starter port on my power panel?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	18466_4751.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	11694  
Old 07-21-2002, 05:27 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Default Looks Good to me

It should work fine..........just remember if your using your power panel for your starter, glow plug ignitor then to charge your batteries.......you have to consider the power reserve of your battery. As long as your battery has enough power you can use it for powering just about anything including your SuperNova. If you finding your gel cell does not have enough copacity to run everything all day. Just bring another charged gel cell or deep cycle car battery to the field with you.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Yes,
The starter port can supply enough power to run the Supernova
Old 07-24-2002, 06:58 PM
hebertjj

Sarge,

You ask some simple questions and you get the run around !!!

Q: "Can you hook your SN to the power panel starter port with banana plugs?"
A: YES - 12 volts is 12 volts

Q: "Will I have any trouble?"
A: YES - It's the nature of this hobby, get used to it.

CORRECTION: Your battery is NOT rated at 7.2 A, but probably is rated at 7.2 A hrs. Amps is current and Amp hrs is capacity and they are NOT the same; which leads to the warnings noted above. Your battery can put out quiet a lot more than 7.2 amps for a limited time, but it's rated to put out 7.2 amps for one hour, which leads to the warnings above by others that you can only pull that amount of current for a limited time.

Joel