Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

MK II and a new NiMH question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Skyman721
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK II and a new NiMH question

Hello all,

I have a question regarding my Hobbico MK II field charger and my first ( higher ) capacity Rx pack. This pack is a new Hydrimax 4.8V 2000mah reciever pack. I used it to set up my radio on a new airplane, so it has recieved some discharging since I opened the package.
So, now its time to charge it and go flying! I placed it on my MKII and placed my digital meter in the "meter" ports. I charged the battery at 1/3C, or about .7Amp . Watching my meter, the charger kicks off - goes into trickle- indicating a full charge - when the battery reads only 302mah
This concerns me! Does this seem right ? I right now cannot recall the voltage reading. I seem to remember it being over 5Volts I have used this charger for about a year now for my Nicd packs and LiPo's - no problem.
Does the NiMh charge with varible Volt and current rates? Its like the Amp rating slowly climbs to about 300 Mah, and then kicks off. Shouldn't I be reading approx. 2000Mah on my meter? I thought maybe my 2.5 Amp power supply wasn't enought, so I tried a charge again off my car battery - no change.
The pack appears charged up - servo's real strong- But I'm just not fully convinced - and don't wanna lose a new bird!
and if this isn't enough questions- on a separate NiMh low long can a charged Rx pack last- I peaked it last week, And sitting dormant ( off w/ no flights on it ) it died in a week - Shouldn't it have stayed charged?
Old 07-26-2004, 05:29 PM
azvmax

Default RE: MK II and a new NiMH question

How are you reading mah (milli amp hours) with your meter?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
laryboy

yuor meter is reading the voltage of the battery. it is incapable of reading mah. i cant imagine what the meter was reading when it indicated 302 somethings
Old 07-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

To read millamps you would have to put the meter inline with the battery.
The 2 ports are for voltage readings.
It is not unknown for a new pack to "false peak"
Discharge it if you can and then give it a long slow charge at a tenth capacity if you can.
After that it will probably charge up correctly.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Skyman721

Thanks for the reply's. I incorrectly stated that I was reading Mah's - I meant to say milliamps! I didn't know the "meter" ports were for voltage only. I'll put the meter in-line tonite and see what readings I get thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also it's going to read different current values before and after it clicks off of peak charge cycle. Before it should be around 700ma or .7 amps. After it should be around 70ma (I read the manual a while ago and can't remember but I thought it was the peak current/10).