Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

SuperNova and 750m AAA NiMh peaking out to fast

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

SuperNova and 750m AAA NiMh peaking out to fast

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 05:01 AM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperNova and 750m AAA NiMh peaking out to fast

I am experiencing difficulties getting my S.N. to charge my 750mil AAA NiMh pack. I though at first I was charging at too high of rate but I dialed it down to .2 Amp and it pops off at only 70-90 mil of charge. My pack charges just fine with my Hangar 9 Double Vision and that charges at 1C rate.

Whats up?
Old 07-24-2002, 06:07 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default SN

What you are experiencing is a well known issue with the Super Nova and NIMH packs. The SN does not properly peak nimh packs.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:38 PM
TOYMAKER

Default Re: SN

Originally posted by echapkis
What you are experiencing is a well known issue with the Super Nova and NIMH packs. The SN does not properly peak nimh packs.
Hey Evan,

Who can I contact about this at the distributer level?

I believe we had a thread going on this once before and didnt you or someone else recommend using the auto mode or NiCad setting? It works fine on all my other batteries just not on these smaller cells. It could be the impedence of these smaller cells... hmmm!

Wayne
Old 07-24-2002, 07:24 PM
TampaRCGuy

Default FMA

FMA's official response is to use the nicad setting.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:50 AM
HitecRedneck

Is FMA saying to use the general plug and play setting on nimh or something else? Reason I ask is that mine won't charge higher than c10 on any nimh.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:53 PM
TOYMAKER

Originally posted by HitecRedneck
Is FMA saying to use the general plug and play setting on nimh or something else? Reason I ask is that mine won't charge higher than c10 on any nimh.
I have been able to charge my larger NiMh 1650 AA pack OK at higher settings up to 1C but its my smaller pack 750mil AAA that I am having a problem with. If its only on this one pack then I can live with it, but if its going to present problems on NiMh packs in the future then I think FMA has an issue they need to deal with.

The more I hear about these concerns the more the Turbo chager Evans been talking about gets more interesting. However, I have already invested bucks in the S.N. My Hangar 9 Double Vision has worked flawlessly as a field and quick charger. It will not however discharge and display important info about your packs.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:11 PM
TampaRCGuy

Default nimh batteries

I did some testing of 720, 1650, and 2700 nimh packs on the Super Nova and Super Turbo.

The results were mixed. I am running a 4 cell 2700 nimh pack in my heli's. My Super Turbo does peak detect the packs properly when I use a 1 amp charge rate. I recharge after every 2 flights. About 550 mah is put back into the pack after 2 flights which should be about right.

When I tested the 720 and 1650 on the Super Nova, they did charge correctly or close enough. The 2700 could never charge properly on the Super Nova.

What I think is going on is that nimh packs that do not properly peak may not have been "primed" properly before a peak charging started.

My technique has been to C/10 charge the new pack for 18-24 hours, then cycle on my Alpha 4. Sometimes 2-3 cycles are required for the pack to get to rated or higher capacity.

The first 3-4 charges are slow C/10 charges only. Once 3-4 slow charges are done, then I will use my Super Turbo to peak detect charge the pack.

I found on my 2700 pack is a 1 amp charge rate, setting the Super Turbo for 3000 mah (cycled capacity) it works fine. So on the Super Turbo I have been successful in charging 720, 1650, and 2700 packs.

I would suggest that anyone using nimh packs do what I explained above. I am not saying that this is the only way, but I have had consistant results with nimh packs doing the above procedures prior to peak charging.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:33 PM
TOYMAKER

Default Re: nimh batteries

QUOTE:
What I think is going on is that nimh packs that do not properly peak may not have been "primed" properly before a peak charging started.

Evan... you may have answered my problem. I originally charged this NiMh 750 pack on my Hangar 9 Double Vision and not at C10 rate (more like 1C) so I did not properly form(prime) these cells.

Could I discharge these completely and try to recharge at C10 and then cycle a few times to (maybe) get it back to the proper peak detection?

They have been working just fine and charging OK on the Double Vision and hold plenty of reserve even after a full day of flying in my small planes.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:28 AM
Jazzy

New NiMH packs do require several complete cycles to arrange themselves.
The peak detecting capabilities of the SuperNova for NiCD and NiMH are only .02 mV apart. (.09 and .07 respectively.) There is not a problem with the SuperNova's ability to detect NiMH peaks.
It is just more sensitive than others.

There is no harm in using a preprogrammed NiCD preset for use with NiMH. Just keep an eye on your pack the first few charges.