Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
 High Powered Wal-Mart Rechargeables >

High Powered Wal-Mart Rechargeables

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

High Powered Wal-Mart Rechargeables

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Powered Wal-Mart Rechargeables

We all love Wal Mart. It must be those blue vests and the falling prices.

Anyways, I haven't seen any recent discussion about the current crop of high powered brand-name nimh's that I just noticed recently.

Rayovac has a 15-min charger with 2000 mAh NIMHs
(and it has a little internal fan that doesn't look like it does a good job of keeping the batteries cool)

Energizer is "slower" with their 30-min 2300 mAh NiMHs

Duracell has 2050 mAh NiMhs on shelves
(with a 2300 mAh version supposedly available)

~Can't find a picture of the Duracells, but you get the idea.
What everyone's told me is "Get the 2100 Sanyo's"...
How do these 'major' brand names compare?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: High Powered Wal-Mart Rechargeables

I don't use the 15 min charger. The batteries are good. I have them in my computer radios and they work fine. You don't have to worry about not have enough power and they charge fine with a 1 hr charger and the radio manufacture charger.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: geofferama

We all love Wal Mart. It must be those blue vests and the falling prices.

Anyways, I haven't seen any recent discussion about the current crop of high powered brand-name nimh's that I just noticed recently.

Rayovac has a 15-min charger with 2000 mAh NIMHs
(and it has a little internal fan that doesn't look like it does a good job of keeping the batteries cool)

Energizer is "slower" with their 30-min 2300 mAh NiMHs

Duracell has 2050 mAh NiMhs on shelves
(with a 2300 mAh version supposedly available)
Time for a reality check. To charge a 2000 mAh cell in 15 minutes you would need 8 amps @ 1.4 volts minimum (that is for 100% charge effeciency). Does that device look like it will handle 8 amps/ cell? 4 cells would be over 45 watts.

Neither of these companies manufacture Ni-Mh cells. They probably broker them out of China where they may range from so-so to complete crap - depending on the manufacturing lot, low bidder, etc. Have you seen any commercial products, like power tools etc. boasting 15 minute charging?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:28 AM

I think you make your point very well. I didn't seriously expect a 15 min charge (the mental image of batteries popping open flashed through my mind) but I was hoping for better than a "so-so" to "craptastic" quality rating on the cells.

Though, if they're only "so so"... at 2300 mAh, they do have an interesting price vs performance point. I know that a well treated set of Sanyo's should last years and years, but if i can use these cheap(er) batteries hard and fast for a year or two, it might just be worth it?
Old 09-13-2004, 06:30 AM
Banned

I think you make your point very well. I didn't seriously expect a 15 min charge (the mental image of batteries popping open flashed through my mind) but I was hoping for better than a "so-so" to "craptastic" quality rating on the cells.

Though, if they're only "so so"... at 2300 mAh, they do have an interesting price vs performance point. I know that a well treated set of Sanyo's should last years and years, but if i can use these cheap(er) batteries hard and fast for a year or two, it might just be worth it?
If your models are so so, or crap then you are probably OK using similar power systems.

A top quality Sanyo flight pack is around $10 - how much can you build one for using cheap cells?
Radical RC 700mah 4 cell 4.8V Flat RX Pack
91.7g, 3.23 oz. (Standard Futaba flat NR-4J is 500 mah & 3.4 oz! Tower Talk $16.99) N-700AAC (AA) (Typical AA size pack, more muscle!) Less weight than factory 500 and 600 packs with more mah. Price: $10.00

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...iteria=&rec=12
Old 09-13-2004, 11:27 AM

After reading your site, I bow to your superior knowledge & will order some proper batteries for a transmitter pack. Great site btw [sm=cool.gif]
Old 09-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Banned

After reading your site, I bow to your superior knowledge & will order some proper batteries for a transmitter pack. Great site btw [sm=cool.gif]
Superior? . . . . I think not, its just you pick up a little knowledge after working in the field for 40+ years. The site, for those that don't know, is a compilation of battery information developed over the years as Application & Design Engineering Mgr. at General Electric/Gates Energy Products/Energizer. No I was not a job jumper, they just kept selling the company, the desk and the guy that went with it. I hated to just dump all this information so adjusted it a bit to focus on our Radio Control Hobby (planes). It has given me some purpose after retirement (as if we need any in this hobby). Other than that, my wings warp, monokote wrinkles, engines gum up - just like everyone else’s.

Take care,
Old 09-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red is being bashful and humble. Truth is when it comes to batteries...he rules!
Old 09-17-2004, 05:50 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Agreed! And we should be thankful for having someone so willing to share their knowledge. I've learned a great many things here and it's mostly because people like Red.

PS- Finally someone brought up these batteries at the right time to have Red reply. I've been trying to convince people over in a camera forum that there is no way these could fully charge in 15 minutes without sizzling forever. No one gets it. They just buy into the hype.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MHawker

I've been trying to convince people over in a camera forum that there is no way these could fully charge in 15 minutes without sizzling forever. No one gets it. They just buy into the hype.
Maybe that's because they don't get up close and personal with their cameras like we do our planes. Anyone ever crash a $2,000 Nikon?