Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery Charger UNSURPASSED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 04:38 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sirius chargers

The Pro Charger is not designed for NiMh use unless it has been factory upgraded. The Limited Edition is capable of charging either 4-5 cell NiCd or NiMh packs.

The LE unit will charge a completely discharged battery within a 45 minute time frame generally depends on the size...

The Pro unit will charge at a much slower rate 1-3 hours depending again on size.

Neither of these units will charge a flat battery. I have had several instances when I had to use a conventional wall charger or something similar to get a battery up to a level of charge, prior to them working charging on the Sirius equipment.

Another consideration when using Sirius Equipment is the need for the voltage to be move through the charge jack in both directions, many TX's have a diode installed preventing the Sirius equipment from functioning. You either disable the diode, directions on Sirius site or remove the battery from the TX and charge.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:44 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charge

I think we are both saying the same thing...I would suggest on a new batt to charge the 15 hours as suggested , and the enjoy the sirius...I do not suggest the pro for what he intends to do...........Regardless you will be very happy...
Regards
Old 12-30-2001, 04:48 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default accucharger

This will get you on the playing field.......just follw directions on whatever you use...The Sirius charger is built for me!...idiots...I cannot make a mistake,,,
Old 12-30-2001, 05:31 AM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

Default Battery Charger UNSURPASSED!

I have always used the wall warts and such that came with the radio but when I set up the radio in my B-17 I needed a lot of batteries and special chargers. I talked to Sirius and bought the reg size (pro) for my two 800 rx batteries and the limited (bigger with two fans) for my two 2000 six volt packs.

When I go to an event I am usually motel bound and really don't want to take a 70lb B-17 into the room to charge it. In the morning I get in the Suburban, hook up the small Sirius and charge. When the lights blink I stop, hook up the large sirrus and charge. When I get to the event my batteries are charged.

After each and every flight I recharge all batteries using the Sirius chargers. I also check the batteries before and after each flight.

I am now free from the nightly hook up in the garage and the "hope I can find an outlet" at the event. Heck one time in Omaha at the motel with my Stearman I ran an extension cord from the room to the truck. No more the Sirius does it on the fly.

I bought the chargers for my B-17 but now use them for all my planes including my 40 sized Morris. I don't worry about forgeting to charge I just charge when I fly, not the night before.

I also have the Sirius Super Test that drains the bats and gives you the capacity. So simple, no plug in, I can use it anywhere, anytime. Sirius has made it so simple.

Paul
Old 12-30-2001, 05:44 PM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Re: Sirius chargers

I just pulled up the Sirius web site and they say the pro does nicads and nimh.....so they must be selling the updated version. Is this charger more suited though for nicads than nimh? I'm simply searching for a way to manage my batteries easier, because I never know what i'm going to fly next ( I have my on airstrip on my property) and I have a choice of 15 planes to fly ranging from 20 - 120 size
Originally posted by mglavin
The Pro Charger is not designed for NiMh use unless it has been factory upgraded. The Limited Edition is capable of charging either 4-5 cell NiCd or NiMh packs.

The LE unit will charge a completely discharged battery within a 45 minute time frame generally depends on the size...

The Pro unit will charge at a much slower rate 1-3 hours depending again on size.

Neither of these units will charge a flat battery. I have had several instances when I had to use a conventional wall charger or something similar to get a battery up to a level of charge, prior to them working charging on the Sirius equipment.

Another consideration when using Sirius Equipment is the need for the voltage to be move through the charge jack in both directions, many TX's have a diode installed preventing the Sirius equipment from functioning. You either disable the diode, directions on Sirius site or remove the battery from the TX and charge.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:02 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DLT

You are correct they do state the Pro is now capable of NiMh cells. Previously they had to replace the chip to increase the charge rate and sensitivity to utilize NiMh cells with the Pro unit.

If you have an older Pro unit this is still the case, per the manufacturer.

These are exceptional user friendly, goof proof, safe to chare indefinitely units. I would without a doubt use the Sirius equipment... There are only a few units with comparable conditioning schemes on the market.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:28 PM
DLT

Default Sirius Charger's

OK, OK, OK I went ahead and got one of these chargers! Now I hope you guy's are satisfied............I think I will be!! (
Old 01-05-2002, 02:46 AM
gbagley

Default DLT- What,Where, and How Much

May I ask where you got it from and how much was the Total shipped to your door.

-gerald
Old 01-05-2002, 03:18 AM
DLT

Default Re: DLT- What,Where, and How Much

No problem......I bought it at Radical Rc (go to their web site and get the phone #, also great place to buy batteries).It was $115 for the Pro model. They have good prices on batteries and i'm switching to nimh for the most part, mainly 1650 mah (Sanyo's)
Originally posted by gbagley
May I ask where you got it from and how much was the Total shipped to your door.

-gerald
Old 01-05-2002, 04:11 PM
DLT

Default OfficeShops.com

Nice to know about you Gerald.....one of these day's i'm going to delve into electrics or at least that's what i've been saying for a couple of years or so. That Tiger Moth looks very interesting.

Dave
Old 01-06-2002, 07:43 PM
Hivoltage
My Feedback: (3)

I have both chargers. If I had to get rid of one of them, I would keep the sirius. If that tells you anything.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:25 AM
theKAT

Gerald-

Am I correct in that you do not accept credit cards for orders?

I've successfully used PayPal before, but have heard that it has caused problems for some people.

Got your site bookmarked.

Karl
Old 01-07-2002, 12:52 AM
gbcross

Default What about a Litco Alpha 4 (is it any good ?)

Litco Alpah 4 any good ?
Old 01-07-2002, 03:45 AM
gbagley

Default CC orders

Deleted
Old 01-07-2002, 02:35 PM
theKAT

Gerald-

Not a criticism, but just wanted to be clear on that. I don't think that fact alone would keep me from ordering from you. I fully understand why you do not take plastic, but if I were to place a VERY large order, I'd prefer the protection that a credit card affords the buyer.

Our local hobby store is severely e-flight challenged, I'm 0 for 5 now on items that I have tried to find there. So, I'm forced to look for mailorder suppliers that can ship small orders without too much handling cost. But on the other hand, I don't like waiting. Sending orders through the mail isn't an option. For some reason, we have the slowest mail delivery in the country. My record so far is 21 days for a first class letter from TX.

As I mentioned, I have your site bookmarked, and will likely be placing an order soon (using PayPal).

Karl
Old 01-08-2002, 03:05 AM
gbagley

Default Deleted

Deleted
Old 01-09-2002, 01:39 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default Credit Cards

Deleted
Old 01-11-2002, 03:42 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Your e-mail

Evan......The address you posted will bring us to a page that is defunk.
Might try posting it with a http
Old 01-11-2002, 04:47 AM
theKAT

You have to delete the period that comes after the .com
Old 01-22-2002, 03:02 AM
denete

Try Mark Miller at Isthmus Models (www.isthmusmodels.com). Good prices, great service!

- David
Old 01-29-2002, 03:45 AM
drywaller

Default technologyand outdated equiptment

And to think I have been using a Hobbico multi charger for years with no problems at all.

You guys know the best thing about technology? Well, in a short time something better will undoubtedly appear putting most of this thread to rest. Or until FiveSquare gets wind of it.

PS. to MGlavin (post #57) could not have said it better myself!
Old 01-29-2002, 12:58 PM
kenflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Here are my stable of chargers:

1. MEN Charger: For my transmitter and receiver nicads, I use a MEN pulse charger. Has all the features of the new charger except I don't think it can be used for the nickel hydride since they were not available in the early '80s as far as I know.

Bought the first charger in 1983......been going strong ever since.

I picked up two more brand new in the box a couple of years ago at the Perry Swap Meet in Perry, Georgia for $20 bucks a piece......couldn't believe it.

Reason why I got them so cheap is the company MEN is now our of business and all you hear about today are the Sirus......so people were walking by probably wondering what a MEN charger was.

2. ACE charger: I also use the ACE multi charger to maintain my transmitter and receiver nicads. It has a trickle charge and a fast charge rate.

3. JETI charger: For my electric planes, I use the JETI field charger. Paid $35 for it and hasn't failed me yet.

It charger both the nicads and nickel hydride.

Goes into tricle once the batteries have peaked out.....can't want much more than that.

4. Hobbico charger: I carry and use the Hobbico field charger if I plan to be at the flying field all day. That charger is used specifically for my transmitter and receiver nicads for the times I plan to be at the flying field all day.

Paid $19 for it.

5. Thats my stable of chargers.

Nothing fancy or expensive.....

But I have to tell you, although I don't need another charger, the review and features of the MRC Brain charger at Tower Hobbies for $64.95 is pretty inviting...........if only one of my chargers would break down and give me a reason to buy the MRC Brain.......
Old 03-09-2002, 11:07 PM
klute55

Default Hi, Tell me something....

I have an Astro 110 charger. I am currently flying 90% parkflyers. I dial in the amps and charge all day long at the field. I fly with my 2 brothers and sometimes we get a bottleneck at the charger causing someone to have to wait.
If i purchase the Sirius charger you are talking about, how will my charging change or get better. Also, can you charge while your driving with any peak charger??? And can I charge more than one pack at a time with the sirius???

Thanks for your help........I will wait for your response before I buy!!!!
Old 03-10-2002, 12:06 AM
Blackie

Default My opinion

The sirius charger ain't no different then the Ace Smart Charger Pro series http://www.acehobby.com/products/ele...rge/index.html

Only difference I see is the price however I plan on purchasing the Dymond Super Turbo Charger here real soon. I understand it does the same thing as the super nova maybe more at a lower price.

http://www.rc-dymond.com/Chargers/20156SuperSmart.htm

Blackie
Old 03-24-2003, 01:39 AM
bwd

Give me the super nova anytime.Once you understand it nothing beats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.