Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

West Mountains Radio CBA

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Mountains Radio CBA

I have just received my West Mountains Radio Battery analyser.

I am very impressed with its performance. It does exactly as they say.

I am in the process of sorting through all my batterys and getting rid of the ones that don't perform.

Great Device Highly recommended.

I don't have any connection with West Mountains Radio, I just really like the product.

Regards
Old 01-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: West Mountains Radio CBA

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

I have just received my West Mountains Radio Battery analyser.

I am very impressed with its performance. It does exactly as they say.

I am in the process of sorting through all my batterys and getting rid of the ones that don't perform.

Great Device Highly recommended.

I don't have any connection with West Mountains Radio, I just really like the product.

Regards
As I gather from the web site http://www.westmountainradio.com/CBA.htm for West Mountain Radio this device required a computer to operate it, therefore it would not be suitable for field use unless someone takes along a lap top and suitable power sources. Is this true? It is a very interesting looking device from what I can gather from their web site , I'm going to see if I can procure a sample for a product review.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:56 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Red rote ...
... therefore it would not be suitable for field use unless someone takes along a lap top and suitable power sources. Is this true?
True; I believe the unit uses the USB port B+ to run the electronics and fan. I have one too and, like Tommy, am using it to cull out marginal packs and provide a nice grahical baseline for the stuff I keep. No matter how you get one, Red, you'll like it - it is a very capable piece of hardware.

Mike
Old 01-19-2005, 05:17 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Red,

Yes it does require a computer to operate. I don't see it as a tool to use at the field. My intention is to test and graph all of my batteries and then I will have a history of each pack's capacity and be able to see when a pack has signifcantly deteriated. I will say you need to be diligent and do the tests regularly to have an accurate indication of the pack.

You also need to know the average discharge curent the pack will be asked to deliver so you can set the current for the test.

You can just use c/10 but this will not indicate the discharge curve under normal load.

I would like to know what you think about it Red.

Also for $100 it is resonably priced. Could save a several thousand dollar model.
It seems to really well made and the software works. I have only just received mine and am still exploring its capabilites.

Regards
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

I've got charge systems coming out of my ears. While this one appears to be a great deal at a really good price (which worries me a little) I won't comment further without testing one. If you recall the MRC 669 was suppose to be the charger to end all chargers . . . and it is a dangerous piece of crap!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:54 PM
TommyWatson

Red,

The CBA does not have any charging function. It is purely a discharging system.

I agree, I too have lots of battery chargers. I mainly use the system chargers that came with my radios. Now that I am using 5 cell packs, I needed a charger that would do five cells so I got a Tower Hobbies Quick Field charger MkII.
I also have two Lipo specific chargers.

Regards
Old 01-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Red,

The CBA does not have any charging function. It is purely a discharging system.

Regards
Bummer. I thought it might be a poorman's Orbit Micro Laden or at the least a less costly version of the UBA II.

But with its 150 watt, 40 amp capability it might be just what I need for cell/pack evaluations. At present about the best I can do is 9.99 amps. Inadequate for any real electric flight study.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
TommyWatson

Hi Red,

I understand what you mean. However I was really impressed with the software. You can store the discharge curves and overlay previous curves to see any deteriation or increase in capacity. I have used the meter method before but this beats it hands down.

I don't particularly want to cycle my batteries just know their real capacity. You can adjust the discharge current so you can see at what voltage you need to recharge with greater accuracy.

I need now to measure the average current my models draw so I can set the discharge current.

I thought it was well worth the $100. Actually being in Australia it cost me considerably more than that!!.

Regards
Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Looking back over the specs on their web site I agree, this is a unit that serious electric modelers should be interested in. I may have to actually buy one if they don't offer one for review. The good side of that is that I don't have to spend a lot of time testing and writing it all up. Stay tunned.