Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Battery & charger, please HELP!!

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery & charger, please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Steve47*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery & charger, please HELP!!

HI guys, I'm kinda new to 1/8 nitro buggy and I need to buy a 6v batt for the receiver and servo. I don't know anything about battery and charger but I used to have a Kyosho electric buggy when I was a kid (7.2 volt ni-cad battery pack)

Back then I got this charger from Udisco (canadian company) and I'm wondering if I can use this charger with today's battery. It says on the back, use only with 7.2 volt battery pack ni-cad! The output written on it reads like this 8.5v 3a DC/C.C. The charger had a slow charge mode and a 15 min charge mode.

Which kind of battery should I buy and would my charger work?

THanks a lot
Old 05-26-2005, 10:37 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Battery & charger, please HELP!!

Buy a quality charger that you can use for everything. Don't waste your money on several cheap chargers that do 1 thing only. I Like the TEKIN 112 AC/DC charger. I charge everything with it. I like the TEKIN 112C charger so much I have 3 . For batteries buy NImh batteries the highest capacity you can find. I buy 2500 Nimh "AA" batteries and make my own receiver packs.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Steve47*

OK, now I'm confused! I thought the whole point of buying a battery pack is because AA batteries are not strong enough!! I have energizer 2500nimh battery now so 4 of them make a pack as good as a buying a battery pack(cell)?

Thanks a lot
Old 05-28-2005, 09:42 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

The new Nimh batteries are better. 4 cells will make a 4.8 volt pack and 5 cells will make a 6.0 volt pack. You want high Mah to run longer (less charging). Mah is run time Volts is power and speed. You can buy the made packs but spend more money. I have been making my own packs for 5 yrs now since Nimh batteries hit the stores(walmart). The 2500 nimh batteries are good for transmitter and receiver packs only. NOT racing packs. You want the highest MAH in the smallest size battery case.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:08 AM
sniper887

I have bought AA size NIMH batteries at Wal Mart and made two packs for my two transmitters. The end-to-end soldering required for packs like that is much easier with a decent soldering iron like a weller sp-40 and a hammerhead tip. So far with the one pack i made with that iron and tip no problems. It works very well. Can't beat 16 bucks for 8 1800 MAh AA batteries (you can find higher capacity sometimes for the same price), and a few bucks for a connector, wire and some shrink wrap.