Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Super Brain 977 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Brain 977 Question

I was going to buy a 969 Pro, but then I saw that this model (977) is only a little more. I heard that they fixed the issues with Li-Po too (although this doesn't matter much to me because I don't have any of those cells). My question though, is about the discharge feature.

I run 1/8th scale Nitro, so I have four different types of batteries:

2400 mah nimh AAs in my radio
1500 mah nimh receiver pack
7ah starter box battery
1200 mah Nicd sub C glow charger battery

If I am right, the NICD glow charger is the only one that should be discharged, correct? If so, is the 4 amp discharge cycle on this charger acceptable for this use? I know that these types of batteries are expected to get drained at about 20-30 amps in r/c electric car applications, and that you are supposed to discharge at rates similar to the rates seen in the application. So I figured this battery sees slower drain rates since it is used as a glow starter battery, and that this charger's lower discharge rate would be ok. Anyone know if this logic is correct?

If not, can anyone steer me to another charger that can PEAK AND DISCHARGE MULTIPLE BATTERIES of DIFFERENT TYPES at the SAME TIME with an EQUAL OR HIGHER DISCHARGE RATE THAN THIS CHARGER? (caplital letters represent required features).
Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Super Brain 977 Question

Your logic is very sound. However you may need to know that the 977 can only discharge on 1 side of the charger.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:58 PM
My Feedback: (2)

im looking into this charger also..

it does charge 2 packs so itll work great for my electric MT that has dual packs....

my thing is, i heard the 969s used to false peak...so im a bit nervous.

also, i was looking into the ice, i know it has more features, but im not a racer and im not sure id ever take advantage of it....

any ideas?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:13 PM

The 977 has updated software supposedly to correct that, and its issue with not charging Li packs properly. If you are into nitro, one thing that this charger does, that none of the others do is starter box batteries or at least the 969 Pro did, and I can't imagine them removing features from their newer model.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
My Feedback: (325)

the 959 originally had a temp max and also had a problem shutting off on problem batteries. They are using very similar chargeing on the 969 and the problem seems to be far less. The 977 should be identical (on chargeing round cells) exept for the max rate of 5 instead of 4.5 and the max threshold of 50 mv instead of 70 mv.

The ice is a far better charger, but can only do 10-12 cells in series, no dual outputs.