Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Garden Tractor Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 PM
AS-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Garden Tractor Battery

JNorton:

I bit my tongue but I just couldn't allow that arrogance to go unchecked.

I graduated in 1973 and have seen that type of attitude for years. I'd love to see what the techs say about him behind his back.

Pbunn, I am not a technician and I am not going for a technician degree, I am going for an Electrical Engineering degree as a designer. Please look at post #44.

Wait till he runs 1500 feet of instrumentation cables and finds out he has ground loops.

I am not going for a technician degree, Jnorton. I will be designing on the circuit board level. Think of me as the person who comes with the designs for say your motherboard in your computer. That's what I will be doing.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Garden Tractor Battery

AS-EE,
I know the degree you are going for. The quote you've attributed to me was from PBunn, however his comment on the techs was right on. They know the best engineers. The reference to 1500 foot of cable was simply being used a metaphor for things that going wrong.

It has been my experience that the lines drawn between being a technician or an engineer are blurred outside of college. The best engineers also have a footing in the technicians world. You'll need to be able to physically determine problems when the occur. In a lot of small shops you'll be doing both jobs. Personally I love to be able to physically build my designs as well as engineer them.

I wish you luck and hope there are still some engineering jobs left in the states that haven't been outsourced to India by the time you graduate. In West Michigan there used to be 20 to 30 auto supply companies in my immediate area, now it's around 10.

I need to go fly some planes.
Later,
John