Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Super Nova 250S

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Tom Jones
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Nova 250S

I just bought 2 sanyo 1900scr batteries. ITried slow charging on the Super Nova and it took quite a while. When it was done it said I had 3699 mah. Then I fast discharged at 3 amps and charged at 5 amps. The problem is that never did I reach either figure. I think it was 1.9 amps max on discharge and about he same on charging. Why can't I get what was set on the manual charge set up? Would a different power supply help? I'm using a PC power supply that's putting out about 8 amps. Been thinking that the Pyramid 12 amp might be the way to go. Any thoughts, guys? Thanks, Tom
Old 11-04-2005, 03:40 AM
RCUOrbiter

Default RE: Super Nova 250S

Your charge mAh figure only tells you what went in. The discharge figure is the meaningful one as that determines how long your model flies.

If you can't reach the charge amperage figure selected it may be due to insufficient PSU capacity or excessive lead resistance. Measure the 12v input supply while charging.

An inability to discharge at the programmed rate can be due to excessive lead resistance. The SuperNova also finds it difficult to discharge single cells at a high rate. It is also incapable of dissipating large powers. E.G a 20 cell pack at 5A would be over 100W. Using a car/truck battery as the power source it may be able to return some energy to that battery reducing the power it must dissipate as heat.
--
Steve
Old 11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Tom Jones
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks RCUOrbiter. I thought it might be lead resistance so I changed leads to 16 ga. wire before I did the rapid charge-discharge. Perhaps the psu should be changed or is it a problem with the Super Nova? Thanks, Tom
Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM
RCUOrbiter

The only easy way to find out is to try a different SupaNova. Have you measured the charger 12v supply yet whilst charging?
--
Steve