Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Multiport charger for LiIon and LiPo??

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Multiport charger for LiIon and LiPo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiport charger for LiIon and LiPo??

I searched.... really I did.....

currently I have the Accucycle elite and like it....no problems...
but more batteries mean more chargers!!

Looking for a MULTI port charger that can do LiPo AND LiIon packs... doesn't need to to Ni packs... the accucycle does those fine...

I was looking at the GreatPlanes poly charge... but it says specifically not to use it for LiIon??? wonder why?

any ideas...

Oh... and I would really like to keep it under $100 so I can put it on my Christmas list

I thought about another Elite, but I just don't need all the features in both.......

Tia
Exeter
Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Multiport charger for LiIon and LiPo??

Lots of guys over at RCGroups are using the Hobbico MKII field charger to charge LiPo batteries. I'm like you and have spend two to three hours on line trying to find a multiport LiPo - LiIon charger and I haven't found one either!

John
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38 PM
rickhannah
My Feedback: (19)

This is a dual-port charger from MRC:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLCJ6&P=7

You might consider just buying individual chargers and ganging them together on your power supply. I personally like the Apache 2500 for a simple compact charger.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:20 PM
exeter_acres

Hmmm.... MRC doesn't seem to get very good reviews......

Can't believe it is so tough to find something like this
Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM
JNorton

I agree I really didn't think there would be any problem finding a multiport LiPo / Li/Ion charger.
I would look into ganging a pair of Multiplex LN-5014s or something similar.

Just my two cents,
John
Old 11-16-2005, 04:09 PM
exeter_acres

Guess I might.......

Oh well....
I guess you can never have too many chargers!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:32 PM
JNorton

Hey - that's what the wife says about shoes!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Rocketman_

Have you looked at this one? It comes in 3, 4, and 5 port versions.
http://www.fromeco.org/shop/aChargers.htm
Old 11-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

When they say not for Lion they are still thinking about the older 7.2v ones the new 7.4 charge just fine as lipos...Fromecos web site even recommends the Apache a lipo charger, they use 7.4v liions. I spoke to them recently about this.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:30 PM
rickhannah
My Feedback: (19)

Actually, I'm holding off on buying any more Lipo chargers for now. I think the industry is headed towards chargers which charge each cell individually to form a more balanced pack. Reduced charge times, more capacity. I'm watching this closely and I've decided to just keep what I've got since, in my opinion, all these current technology units will soon become out dated. Go to www.fmadirect.com and browse around a bit, things are changing and fast.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:58 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I couldn't agree more rickhannah.

Does anyone know the max power of the Multiplex LN-5014 ? thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 05:39 AM
JNorton

LN-5014
SPECS: Input Voltage: 11-15V
Battery Type/Cell Count: 1-14 cells NiCd and NiMH
1-5 cells LiPo and LiIo
1-6 cells lead acid
Charge Current: 0.1-5A
Discharge Current: 0.1A-1A
Trickle Charge Current: 0-250mA
LCD: 2 lines 16 characters illuminated
Charge Termination Method: Delta-Peak for NiCd and NiMH,
Constant Current/Constant Voltage for Li-Po and Li-Io
Charge to Discharge Cycling Max: 5 cycles ending charged or
discharged
Old 11-21-2005, 09:43 AM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Have you looked at this one? It comes in 3, 4, and 5 port versions.
http://www.fromeco.org/shop/aChargers.htm
Looked at it, but I also want it to be able to charge 3 cell LiPo's.. (sorry, I hadn't posted that,,, and Yes, I am awfully demanding)

so that one is out....

but the info about the Polycharge is interesting... the LiIon's I'm running are 7.4v.... Hmmmm

Thanks all
Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is different about the way LiPo and LiIon packs need to be charged?

I know the Triton is not on the cutting edge of lithium chargers, but I have had good luck charging my foamie's 3 cell LiPo packs with it. According to the Triton owners manual, "lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries do have almost identical operational characteristics and can be cared for the same way." The Triton uses the same setting for LiPo and LiIon charging.

I only have a couple of packs for my one foamie so I have been content charging one pack at a time. Now I am getting my first gasser and have been considering using LiIon batteries in it. Since the gasser will have at least two and maybe three packs, it would be nice to be able to charge all of them at once.

All of this may have been discussed to death, but I will have to admit that battery charging is not a topic that excites me. The only time I visit the part of the Universe is when I am in the market for something.

Like exter_acres I would like to find a multi port that does a good job on LiIon and LiPo packs.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Panzlflyer

None, as long as they are not the old 7.2v Lions but I dont think that you will find many of the old ones for sale now and 1c max
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAU0&P=0

That is the conclusion I came to also, but I still would like to hear an answer to exeter_acres question about why Great Planes says to not use their PolyCharge4 on LiIon.

ORIGINAL: andyt

None, as long as they are not the old 7.2v Lions but I dont think that you will find many of the old ones for sale now and 1c max
Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

I suspect the reason for eliminating Lithium-Ion other Lithium based batteries is two fold; some of the older Ions were rated at 3.6V and in series the pack voltage would require .3V less to reach charge termination. This in of itself is not significant IMO as the cells are designed with some tolerance for over voltage/current... But if you consider there are several older Lithium technologies about recommending the charger only be used for Li-Po's has merit. The original Duralite Tadiran Lithium-Metal cells were 3.0V and required a unique charge regimen.

Other considerations for Ions are possibly the hermetically sealed casings together with the intregal safety devices. A PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) Device limits current to a cell in the event of higher than expected temperature or external current draw. A CID (Circuit Interrupt Device) interrupts charging current to the cathode when internal gas pressure in a cell exceeds specified limits. A Safety Vent opens in response to a sudden increase in cell pressure and allows gas to escape. Typically Lithium-Poly does NOT have any of these internal devices.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:36 AM
exeter_acres

Well... I sent an email to electrifly (re: polycharge 4)

but it sounds like we are all in agreement that if the LiIon cell is a 7.4v than the charger should work fine?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Panzlflyer

yep and I have been doing it for 2 yrs as chargers like the Triton set the voltage for Lion at 7.2 so my 7.4 Lions were not fully charged
Old 11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

PoloyCharge 4,,can do 4 at a time,,ion or polymer
Old 11-24-2005, 09:26 AM
exeter_acres

You will all love this... I sent an email to Electrifly asking them what they thought... Allow me to post the Helpful and eloquent response [sarcasm]

My email:

Hello.

I'm looking for a new charge and the Polycharge4 seems to fit well..

I'm looking for a multiport charger for LiPo (3 cells for now)
But I'm also looking for a LiIon charger.
The manual for the Polycharge4 states that it will not work for LiIons.
Why
is this? I thought that LiPo and LiIon have the same charge curve.
The voltage on my LiIon cells is the same as a 2 cell LiPo (7.4v)

Curious as to your thoughts and recommendations.

and the answer provided:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Check out this hyper link for the differences between those
two types of packs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_cell

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further
questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this
email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any
future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical
team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked
questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the
information helpful and valuable to you.

Thanks Again,
Wow... so much help... I hope he didn't break a sweat trying to help out![:@]
Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 AM
avionics12
My Feedback: (12)

I know this misses the $100 requirement but after following this thread I felt like chiming in here. It is my belief that you have to look for the long term needs for what you want a charger/cycler to do. I have a Composite Arf 2.6 Yak with 2 3300mAh Emcotec Longgo LiPo batteries and one NoBs 2700mAh NiMh battery for the ignition. That's a lot of charging to do, although I can fly all weekend, 6-7 flights per day, and still have plenty of reserve.

If you buy a charger/cycler that has two charging ports then you have to switch over after the first charge cycle. I'm lazy I want to hook things up, verify the correct chemistry and program (charge, discharge&charge, cycle, test, whatever...) and go on to do other hobby things or stuff around the house. If I need to charge more than two batteries I would need to buy a second charger to get that done, plus keep an eye on what's going on. Notwithstanding the fact that I detest having to calculate what charge rate and time I need to set things at.

I have a considerable investment in my airplanes and I went one step further and made a considerable investment in a charger/cycler. I bought a Miniron Mobile charger /cycler and a Pyramid PS-14KX power supply. I have $350.00 invested in this and here are the capabilities I have.

A rock solid power supply that doesn't even break a sweat powering the Miniron even on fast charge. The Miniron has 5 ports for charging and works on NiCd, NiMh, LiPo (up to 4 cell), LiOn and Lead Acid. It has a 2 amp output and will charge sequentially or in parellel. It's easy to set for what you want it to accomplish and works well for me. I am still learning about this charger as I try new battery chemistries and if new technology comes along the Miniron is upgradeable via EEPROM. The Miniron remembers the last charge program used for each charging port and will use this if you do not change it.

As usual you must exercise common sense and safety when using any charger. There are a couple of "downsides" to the Miniron although they do not affect me. If you leave the batteries on charge for three days after the cycle is complete the Miniron will cycle the batteries and then go into a trickle charge mode. In 15 days it repeats this cycle. After the cycle is complete I take the charging leads off anyway.

The writing on the face of the Miniron is in German. This hasn't proved to be a problem for me as the instruction book that comes with it does a fair job of interpretation and there is a picture of the face of the Miniron in English in the manual.

The point I'm trying to get across here is that some/most of us grow in this sport at a intoxicating rate . If you look carefully you can find a charger that will be higher in initial price but the long term cost will be lower. Does it do what you want it to do now? Will it do what you will need it to do as you grow in the sport? Spend a little or spend a lot now at the beginning and you'll spend less/more later. There are chargers/cyclers that will do what you need now. Will the purchase you make today serve you well tommorrow?

I know not every one has money like this for battery maintenance. But then again, at the time, I didn't have the money for three different transmitters. I had to learn the hard way to buy the best I could at the time or save up for what I needed.

There is a review of the Miniron and other chargers on Red's website. I suggest you go there and see what the expert in battery maintenance has to say also.

[link=http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/]RC Battery Clinic[/link]

I have no affliation with Miniron or anyone selling them. Just trying to give a look at capabilities vs price vs long term use. YMMV.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	359655