Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Need help with my Einstein XL Deluxe

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Need help with my Einstein XL Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 01:55 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my Einstein XL Deluxe

Just picked up an Einstein XL Deluxe recently. I am certainly no battery guru so I need a little help. I can figure out how to cycle, charge, and trickle my packs, but I'm really not sure how to interpret the reading on the LCD display. If I cycle a 600mah NiCD pack what should I be looking for on the display. As I understand it when cycling begins, it discharges the pack . The number on the display increase. How high should the number get. Then I guess it switches over to charge and the number counts up again. Once agin how high should the number get?

One other issue I noticed in thedirections it states that the Einstein can charge packs over 1500mah, but it needs to do it twice? Can anyone that is charging larger packs with the Einstein explain this? Thanks for any help you guys can provide me. I need it.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:55 AM
coomarlin

One other question. How are you guys charging or cycling single cells or specialty batteries like cellphone or cordless drill batteries. There are several connectors available on the Einstein, but as far as I see there are no individual leads or probes. I saw mention of a guy that was using his Einstein to charge the NiMH batteries in his digital camera. How is this possible? THanks.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You asked several questions.
The numbers that count up tell you the present energy removed at a 300ma drain. Following a full charge, it will tell you your packs capacity. Following a trip to the field, it will tell you how much energy is left in the pack.

When charging a pack greater that 1400maH, you will get an error. The error lets you know that the charger timed out before the auto shutoff kicked in. All you do is to press the button to get the charger to kick in again. Their is a limit to the total time the unit will remain on. I think it is 16 hours but the manual will tell you. This is the total charge or discharge/charge time before the timer shuts off the unit. The error just lets you know that the pack is not fully charged. While I wish this was adjustable, I like this feature.

I have discharged/charged packs as high as 2700maH. I had to charge them 3 times because of the timer limit.

The unit accepts 2.5 mm plugs. Get those from radio shack and then get the mating end for your other pack (or alligator clips) and connect it to the pack. Make sure you have an idea of the voltage and capacity rating. Also don't try to charge LiMH packs.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:27 PM
coomarlin

Thanks for the info Geist.

With the einstein can you fast charge a pack. What I mean is that they recommend charging a 600mah pack at 50mah charge. What if I set the charge rate up higher than recommended. Is this possible with an Einstein? Also, I'm a little confused about how to charge a single cell AA battery. How do I connect something to the ends of the batter? One end is flat and the other only has that little dimple. I'm still a little confised. Thanks again.

-Coo
Old 11-15-2002, 02:07 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Hi, geistware gave you the nittty gritty, let me see if I can expand on that:

1. You have a 600 maH (NiCD or NiMh) fully charged, put it on the Einstein and the number you see is the actual maH discharged, hence if the final number is 580 you're in good shape, if you get 500 (84%) your pack may be near the end of his life, if you cycle a couple of times and the number does not increase toss it, if it gets below 70% (420 maH) toss it.

2. To quick charge a battery change the jumper of the charge higher up, for example on the 600 maH batt, the recommended setting for trickle (normal) charge would be 50 maH, you can change the pin to 150 maH and the battery would charge faster, of the top of my head I'm not sure if the Einstein reads the voltage and automatically reduces the current ewhen teh bat. reaches the peak, I think not. So if you fast charge make sure to have atimer handy and remove the batt after 4 to 5 hours to avoid overvharge.

3. Geist explained the high capacity pack...

4. To charge other types of cell you have to make your own conectors (rig them with parts from Radio Shack) remember to revise polarities, single cells are easier, just get a battery holder with leads and solder a 2.5mm plug at the end, the ones I dons't like are camcorders, for the flat surface of the connectors.
Regards,
Patrick
Old 11-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Geistware

The Einstein charger is a over night charger. What you can do is set the C/10 rate for 1400maH packs with will charge at 140ma. While this is not really fast charging, it is the most you can get out of it.

You cannot charge a single cell as is. The minimum is 2. (I think) Now, you probably can make something to charge a single cell. You know the charge rate (current) and you know the voltage drop 1.2 volts. You can put a resister in line to simulate the charge load of the battery.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:53 PM
coomarlin

Thanks. I really don't plan on charging just 1 cell, but I used that as an example. I just really didn't understand how to charge a battery that did not have the proper wiring to just plug into the versitile adpater.

BTW, The 600mah pack I had on cycle has just finished and now the yellow "trickle" light is on. It keepes flashing 00:15 then 15. 00:15 - 15, etc. Does that mean my 600mah pack only has a capacity of 15! Did I do something wrong?
Old 11-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Geistware

That means that the discharge was for 15maH and you have been in trickle mode for 15 minutes.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:40 PM
Barry-RCU

Is the Einstein infinitely adjustable or are the charge rates in steps, if steps what are they. I couldn't find this information on their web site. Also what voltage does this require 120v or 12 volts.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:32 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

The einstein is 120 V and is adjustable to (about) 6 voltages and 2-12 cells

Patrick
Old 11-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Geistware

The Einstein takes 18 volts to run it. I think this is mostly for the larger packs since I have charged 4 & 5 cell packs in my car overnight. The charge rates are 25, 50, 80, 120, & 140 ma. Cells are 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, & 12.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:18 PM
coomarlin

OK Cool. That clears up a lot of my questions. I cycled the 600mah battery again and it read 551. I guess that's decent, but not great. Since it's 2 years old and never been cycled until yesterday I'll run it though a few more cycles and see if the 551 stays consistant. Not that I really ven plan on ever using the pack again, but it's a good way for me to get some experience with the einstein.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Geistware

I have found that most of my packs read low. This also seems to be a function specific to my unit. A lot of this may depend on the cut-off voltage. As long as you readings are consistent and within 20% of rated capacity, I would not worry.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Ed Smith

There is a very good reason this charger is called "Einstein" and it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the unit.

Ed s
Old 11-16-2002, 03:23 PM
coomarlin

Once agin, I have another question. If I setup the charger to charge at 140mah on a 600mah pack, can I safty say that it should take around 4.5 hours to charge the pack. How would I know when it's done? I assume the einstein will not detect that the pack is full and will keep charging - resulting in an overcharge? What if I jept my eye on it and took it off charge after 4.5 hours. Would that be safe?
Old 11-16-2002, 06:34 PM
coomarlin

Originally posted by Geistware
When charging a pack greater that 1400maH, you will get an error. The error lets you know that the charger timed out before the auto shutoff kicked in. All you do is to press the button to get the charger to kick in again. Their is a limit to the total time the unit will remain on. I think it is 16 hours but the manual will tell you. This is the total charge or discharge/charge time before the timer shuts off the unit. The error just lets you know that the pack is not fully charged. While I wish this was adjustable, I like this feature.
Hey Giest, when you hit the charge a second time how do you know how much longer it needs to stay on. For instance, if I try to charge my 1650 pack I set the charge rate at 140mah and 16 hours later I get an error. I hit charge again and do I just leave it on for a few more hours? If I don't turn off the charger I assume the einstein will charge it for another 16 hours. Not really sure I like this feature on the einstein.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Geistware

coomarlin,
I hope to answer both of your questions.
I would leave the 600maH pack on for 4.5 hours only if I knew the pack was completely discharged. If not, then I would put it on cycle and remove it after the unit has been charging for 4.5 hours.

Second,
If I leave a 1650 pack on for 16 hours, It would have put 16x140maH into the pack or 2240 MAH so the pack should be fully charged. Now lets say you had it set on 25maH for 16 hours. That would be 400maH. You would need to charge the pack as if it was a 1650maH minus 400maH or 1250maH. I would set the unit to charge at 80maH or 120maH.

I know this is weird and it would be nice if this was a pick detecting charger, but it isn't.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:03 PM
coomarlin

Thanks Geist.

What if for instance I came home from flying with the 600 mah pack and only made a couple of flights. I really have no way of knowing how much energy is still left in the pack. How do I charge in this scenario without cycling? If there is still 400mah left in the pack and I set it up to charge for 16 hours wouldn't that over-charge the battery?
Old 11-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Geistware

Do what I do, plug the unit in, let it trickle until I go to work the next morning then turn it off. I have never had a problem other than hooking up the unit on a 4 cell pack in 5 cell mode.

Good thing that it was only on trickle charge.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:43 AM
David_Moen

I just got an Einstein after about three months of flying. My batteries were new, but had been sitting unused for a couple of years. I flew 3 to 6 flights per day ususlly throwing them on the "wall wart" the night before flying - so they were never fully discharged.

When I got the Einstien hooked up, I cycled my RX pack twice, the first two times the unit showed that my battery capacity was 669, then 629 mAh, its a 700 mAh pack. I askes around at the field, and the consensus was that the long period of storage lead to the reduced capacity of my pack. Several people told me to toss it as it was pretty marginal. This weekend I cycled the pack a couple more times before flying, and its now up to 751 mAh! Seems like a couple more cycles "woke up" the pack, now I cam feel better about flying with it and I don't need to buy another RX pack! I'm happy with my Einstein!

The TX pack has been 750+ from the start.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Geistware

Yes, while you can "rejuvenate" a tired pack, I would keep track of the readings and when a sustained decrease of capacity is experienced, I would change the pack.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:00 PM
coomarlin

So basically the only way to tell the capacity of your pack is too fully charge it and then cycle it? I kinda wish now I would've bought a peak detection type of charger.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Geistware

Yes, that is the only way to tell!
Also, you have to realize that the capacity is with a 300ma load. It could read different with different loads. That is why consistency is the most important thing.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:13 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Coomarlin, another (and probably more applied) is to get a voltmeter (if it's loaded bettter) and take it to the field, after every flight (or at the end of the session) before you turn off the receiver, measure the charge of the battery, that way you know if its safe to keep flying, or if you battery is poerforming consistently
Regards,
Patrick
Old 11-18-2002, 04:23 PM
coomarlin

Thanks. Could you recommend a good loaded voltmeter? Does tower sell a good one. I'm planning on making a large order there and this would be a good time to order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.