Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Best home charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 02:35 AM
jorgeelizondom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best home charger

Hi, I've been reading a lot on chargers and don't seem to find what I need. I'm looking for an overnight charger with the following characteristics:

1) should charge two batts at once (two channels).
2) should be capable of charging large Rx packs (up to 2500mAh) in ONE charge.
3) should have the option to cycle automatically (cycle then charge).
4) should have a readout for mAh data
5) should have a manual, selectable charge rate in case I need a faster charge
6) should have peak detection for use when fast charging.

PLease point me in the right direction.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:49 PM
hebertjj

Item #5 is a NO NO. If you switch to a faster charge, you definitely want an automatic peak detecting charger, not a manual setting.

Is this for Nicds only or Nicd & Nimh (it ought to be the later).

Joel
Old 11-25-2002, 01:45 AM
coomarlin

I would be interested in the exact same thing. I just bought an Einstein XL Deluxe and am really not happy with it. For one, it take more than one charge to fully charge my 1650 packs. When I cycle 2 batteries it has to be done at the same time. What I mean is if I put a pack on channel 2 six hours after I started cycling a pack on channel 1 it wants to restart both channels when I press cycle. Not sure if there is a way around this or if I'm just doing it wrong.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:34 PM
jorgeelizondom

Default clarification

Joel,

You are absolutely correct.

I obviously was not clear in my request for item #5: What I meant was that I want a charger that you can manualy change the charge rate. It should, of course, stop automaticaly with peak detection.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:35 PM
hebertjj

George,

Don't confuse matters with mixed terminology. A manual/automatic charge mode is like asking for french fried sushi. What you should say is " peak detection charging where you can set the max charge rate."

Also, you shouldn't refer to it as an "overnight" charger. "Overnight" means it charges at a C/10hr rate only. Or do you really want a charger that you can only use at night?

Now that I've nit picked your specs, I see that you're not getting any pointing in the right direction. I don't know if such a beast exists. The Litco Alpha 4 is 2 chan, but it's a mythical beast and not available as far as I'm concerned. It's also limited to a total output of 1 amp, so you've got limited "quick" charge ability on anything over 1000mah. Einsteins likewise; I don't know the limit, but I think the power supply is 700 ma max, and all batteries must be same size per charge cycle. I've not done a lot of research for this type of thing, but the easiest solution to your request is two Dymond Super Turboes. You'd have 2 chan, 5A max, peak detection, up to 25 cells per chan, Nicd & Nimh, different sizes per chan, settable max current and charge, settable discharge params, auto cycling, and full data readout. All for $220, plus power supplies (convert 2 PC PS for $5).

Howzat,
Joel

Joel
Old 11-26-2002, 07:48 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

I agree with Joel, for your intended use, it's better to have two Dymond Supert Turbo instead of two FAM Einsteins...on the other hand my Einstein is so easy to use.. but won't charge your big packs
Regards,
Patrick
Old 11-27-2002, 01:03 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by hebertjj

Now that I've nit picked your specs, I see that you're not getting any pointing in the right direction. I don't know if such a beast exists. The Litco Alpha 4 is 2 chan, but it's a mythical beast and not available as far as I'm concerned. It's also limited to a total output of 1 amp, so you've got limited "quick" charge ability on anything over 1000mah. Einsteins likewise; I don't know the limit, but I think the power supply is 700 ma max, and all batteries must be same size per charge cycle. I've not done a lot of research for this type of thing, but the easiest solution to your request is two Dymond Super Turboes. You'd have 2 chan, 5A max, peak detection, up to 25 cells per chan, Nicd & Nimh, different sizes per chan, settable max current and charge, settable discharge params, auto cycling, and full data readout. All for $220, plus power supplies (convert 2 PC PS for $5).

Howzat,
Joel

Joel
A little clarification,

The Alpha 4 is a 4 port charger, and not a 2 port, or channel as you referred to it. It may be mythical in your eyes, but thousands find it quite real and useful on a daily basis. They are hard to get, but still available for those what have the specific need and are willing to put up with a waiting list.

While the Alpha meets his specs as laid out in his first post, he wont be able to buy it off the shelf without a 3-6 month wait. He could get one on e-Bay for around $350 or so if he didn't want to wait. I see them every now and then, and one only needs to keep an eye out.

The Dymond Super Turbo is only a single channel, much like the Super Nova charger, which means he would need two units rather than one. While not the ideal situation, it would fit his needs.
Old 11-27-2002, 05:21 AM
hebertjj

Stephen,

You're right about the Alpha 4's 4 ports (thus the 4), but wrong about meeting the specs. Due to its 1 amp limit, it can't fast charge 2500mah packs. And in my book, a "waiting list" is a list you put your name on to wait for something (besides just getting on the list); not a list you have to wait to get on in order to get to wait (thus the mythical beast status of the Alpha 4).
Old 11-27-2002, 01:42 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by hebertjj
Stephen,

You're right about the Alpha 4's 4 ports (thus the 4), but wrong about meeting the specs. Due to its 1 amp limit, it can't fast charge 2500mah packs. And in my book, a "waiting list" is a list you put your name on to wait for something (besides just getting on the list); not a list you have to wait to get on in order to get to wait (thus the mythical beast status of the Alpha 4).
I understand about your mythical beast status, but not everyone ones. People are purchasing them, so they can't be all that mythical to everyone.

His specs didn't mention fast charging, just that it should charge a 2700mah pack in ONE charge. The Alpha does that perfectly. If his specs were fast charging, I guess it would all depend on how fast
Old 11-28-2002, 06:12 PM
bluefronted

Default Robbe Infinity 2

See the review on the Robbe infinity 2 , at
www.rcbatteryclinic.com,

I read the review and asked around and decided to go with it , It has 2 o/p's a constant 250mA and a variable setting o/p , It has most if not all of what you are looking for.