Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Triton power supply question, how many amps?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Triton power supply question, how many amps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
goshield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton power supply question, how many amps?

I just bought a Triton and want to use a dc power supply at home. The manual states that a supply with at least a 13amp output should be used. If the charger has a maximum output of 5amps why would I need a power supply with such a high output? Anyone using a power supply they bought with lower rating than this? I've searched the posts but haven't found this answer yet. Your help is appreciated.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:00 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Triton power supply question, how many amps?

Compare current in wattage. Voltage times current = watts. The Triton uses a switching power supply so it can deliver more than 12 volts to the batteries being charged. I think you will find it pretty close to the recommended supply. So 12 volts * 13 amps = 156 watts. Max voltage to batteries 24 cell NiCd = 28.8 volts @ 5 amp = 144 watts
John
Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

figure the watts output by the battery voltage and current being charged. As long as the voltage of the ps is between 10.5-15 then use a ps with slightly higher wattage than required.

Many of us are using a tiny 3 amp ps for doing small batts like radio batts and is plenty of power.

ps Triton is a 90 watt max charger, I have maxxed it out many times with a 100 watt ps.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
JNorton

U-dUd
ps Triton is a 90 watt max charger, I have maxxed it out many times with a 100 watt ps.
Don't yah just love it when the specs don't contain max wattage output!
John
Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
guver

Yep, that is usually one of my first questions as I tend to use chargers to their potential.

It is actually in the manuel if you want to do the math. (kinda)
Old 01-05-2006, 06:01 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: U-dUd

Yep, that is usually one of my first questions as I tend to use chargers to their potential.

It is actually in the manuel if you want to do the math. (kinda)
Yah but not in the online specs!
Old 01-05-2006, 03:20 PM
guver

everyone with over 2050 posts is very cool
Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 AM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

What do you mean when you say 90 watts max? Is that the max it will put out?? Thanks LeeU
ORIGINAL: U-dUd

figure the watts output by the battery voltage and current being charged. As long as the voltage of the ps is between 10.5-15 then use a ps with slightly higher wattage than required.

Many of us are using a tiny 3 amp ps for doing small batts like radio batts and is plenty of power.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:27 PM
JNorton

Yup. Watts = Voltage Times Current and if you knew that I appologize. Basically it means the more cells you are charging the less current you have available to charge them.
John
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
PropStriker
My Feedback: (12)

I use an old Computer Power supply...Its 350 watts, 7A max. It handles my 2100 Lipos with ease.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

My old reliable (and green stickered )triton overheated two packs today. The first was an 1800 ma 6V NiCad pack, and the other was a 650 ma 4.8 V NiCad pack. I replaced my home made charge lead this evening with one that was made by MPI or someplace like that, but no reason to suspect it was bad. So far, no problems with the new charge lead, but I have a question;

I've been using a radio shack 10 amp power supply for the triton. When the overheating problem happened, I had the triton as well as an ace super smart charger hooked up to the power supply. Is it possible that both chargers pulled too much on the power supply, and it (the power supply) somehow tricked the triton into overcharging the packs? The 650 ma pack suffered melted heatshrink and got pretty well cooked. I'm sure the settings were correct, and both packs overcharged while the triton was set to charge at 0.4

I didn't have a temp sensor hooked up, but NOW I do

Any suggestions are appreciated.

JW
Old 09-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Tenrail
My Feedback: (1)

Prop Striker, wouldn't the formulas listed make your power supply capable of 29 amps? The reason I ask is im looking to purchase a 150 watt computer ps. -danny

ORIGINAL: PropStriker

I use an old Computer Power supply...Its 350 watts, 7A max. It handles my 2100 Lipos with ease.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:50 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: John Wells

My old reliable (and green stickered )triton overheated two packs today. The first was an 1800 ma 6V NiCad pack, and the other was a 650 ma 4.8 V NiCad pack. I replaced my home made charge lead this evening with one that was made by MPI or someplace like that, but no reason to suspect it was bad. So far, no problems with the new charge lead, but I have a question;

I've been using a radio shack 10 amp power supply for the triton. When the overheating problem happened, I had the triton as well as an ace super smart charger hooked up to the power supply. Is it possible that both chargers pulled too much on the power supply, and it (the power supply) somehow tricked the triton into overcharging the packs? The 650 ma pack suffered melted heatshrink and got pretty well cooked. I'm sure the settings were correct, and both packs overcharged while the triton was set to charge at 0.4

I didn't have a temp sensor hooked up, but NOW I do

Any suggestions are appreciated.

JW
I'm going to say that the ps can in no way trick or force the triton into overchargeing. If the packs were completey seperate I have no idea other than settings or faulty charger because the Trion is one that is pretty hard to force an overcharge on a nickel batt. I also do not think you were working your power supply very hard.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:19 PM
hankpajari

As a pragmatic reply, I use computer power supplies of 8 and 10 amps to power my Tritons. Have charged a couple of Lipos at 1.1 amps using two Triton's at the same time on one power supply many times with no problems. I have not tried to charge anything bigger yet.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I went WAAAAY overboard. Acquired a Pyramid 21A bench PS for my Triton. I've only charged my RX and TX NiCD packs plus a 7.5Ah 12v gel cell. The PS may get used for other applications other than RC hobby stuff...
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 PM
greywolf187

I have an old 250 w, I think it pushes 7 amp. AT power supply from some old computer and would like to know how to hook it it to use as a power supply for my new Triton. would this be enought to charge a nicd 2000 mah at 2 amps??? I think this would be the biggest battery I would be charging, untill I go lipo for my RC18.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:25 PM
hankpajari

I'm guessing that you should be OK.

Here is the link [link=http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/]Red's Battery Clinic[/link]

On the left hand side go to the bottom and click on the link to PC Power Supplies.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM
slayedrc9021

i know this is an old post but i was wondering if http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103960 this would work please reply.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Triton, or any other charger, could care less where it's power comes from as long as the voltage and current is sufficient. Allow for about 20% (it is usually less than 20%) overhead or inefficiency so, if the current you are charging at multiplied by the voltage of your battery when fully charged times 1.2 is less than the supply voltage multiplied by the current being drawn while charging, your power supply is sufficient.