Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Can I use a Nicad glow driver charger to....

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Can I use a Nicad glow driver charger to....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Can I use a Nicad glow driver charger to....

I just purchased a new glow driver unit which came with a NI-MH 1800 mAh battery but no charger. Can I use a regular Nicad charger to charge the NI-MH battery.

Karol
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can I use a Nicad glow driver charger to....

Look at the specs on your charger. It should say the number of cells it will charge. My problem with the question is what is a normal NiCd charger? Is it a constant current charger like a wall wart that comes with you transmitter, a timed charge unit, a delta peak unit like the Triton or Multiplex LN 5014. In the case of the Triton or Multiplex unit they will charge it with no problem. With a 60 mAh wall wart it is very close to not having enough current and will take 2 days to charge. A 180 mAh wall wart would charge it perfectly in 14 to 16 hours. I wouldn't use any timed unit period.

Hope it helps.
John
Old 01-10-2006, 06:51 AM
karolh

Hi John,

Sorry if my question was a bit confusing, as the term 'normal' was referring to the constant current wall wart type of charger that is supplied with most Nicad powered glow drivers.

In retrospect, maybe I should simply have asked if a Nicad charger can be used to charge NI-MH batteries.

Karol
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 AM
gerwen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A peak charger for nicads only won't work with nimh's. Your trickle charger will if it supplies enough current. You want it in the 150-200 mah range. Less and it will take a long time to charge if it ever gets to a full charge. More and you'll have to pay attention to charging times to avoid overcharging.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 AM
JNorton

Karolh
A constant current wall wart charger can indeed charge NiMh cells at a C/10 rate. Just be sure not to leave it connected to the pack after it is charged, as NiMh cells do not like constant C/10 charging which doesn't seem to hurt their NiCd brethren as much. Neither type should be left on continuously anyway.

If you don't have a high current wall wart NoBd has them. Check the middle of the page. CH96 High Output System Slow Charger 120/180ma $18.00.
http://www.hangtimes.com/chargers.html
John
Old 01-10-2006, 06:09 PM
karolh

I have a Mc Daniel's glow driver wall wart charger that is rated at 125mA which I plan on using, and which should provide a full charge after approx. 18 hrs.

Karol
Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
JNorton

Sounds good.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:02 AM
PIRANA

Hi: i have a 5 cell Ni-Mh battery pack (6v-2500mah) can anyone tell me if it would be ok to slow charge this pack with a 6v 200Mah power supply, and if so how long would it take from flat to full, also is there some way that i can fit some kind of indicator in line, eg: a diode or meter, any tips would be much appreicated.

Damien.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: PIRANA

Hi: i have a 5 cell Ni-Mh battery pack (6v-2500mah) can anyone tell me if it would be ok to slow charge this pack with a 6v 200Mah power supply, and if so how long would it take from flat to full,
Damien.
Damien,
Check the actual voltage from the 6v 200 mah supply. You need more than 6 volts to charge a 6 volt pack. You need about 1.5 volts to charge a cell so the minimum voltage needs to be around 9 volts. 2500 mAh pack / 200 mA = 12.5 hours to charge.

also is there some way that i can fit some kind of indicator in line, eg: a diode or meter, any tips would be much appreicated.
NiCd and NiMh cells do not have a linear voltage discharge characteristic like LiPo or lead acid cells do so it is difficult to use a volt meter to check the cell's capacity. After setting a while a surface charge builds up and fools the voltmeter into thinking you have more capacity than there actually is. Tower Hobbies sells a voltwatch that works if you use it directly after landing the airplane or running the car.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ2&P=ML

John
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 PM
PIRANA

Thanks for this info John, this psu that i had hoped to use is only 6v 200mah, but as you have said that it would take apx: 9v to charge my battery pack, i am wondering now if i could use my futaba mains charger, as the TX output is reading 9.3volts @ 70mah, i want a slow charge as the battery pack is in my nitro boat, and would probably only be used at max once a week, so there is no need to charge them fast. if this charger would suit, how long do you think it would take to charge this 6v 2500mah Ni-Mh pack..?

Thanks again John:

Damien
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
JNorton

You divide the current available from the charger into the pack capacity to get hours. Unfortunately 70 mA is below the threshold that can effectively charge a 2500 mAh pack. 2500 / 70 = 35 hours. To slow charge C/10 you want something in the 200 to 250 mA range.
John