Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NiMh or Nicd

Old 01-19-2002, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMh or Nicd

I've got a Killer Kaos and it will have 4 Airtronics standards and 1 futaba or cirrus standard for throttle. I want 6 volts but was wondering if the 1600 NiMh pack would be as good as a 1700 NiCd. The weight difference is a little over an ounce but I was wondering about what the size of a flat pack would be. Anybody ever use blocks for a reciever pack? What do you mount your battery with? Hook and loop?

Thanks,
Stephen Ertel
Old 01-19-2002, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default NiMh or Nicd

one thing to consider is 'how are you going to charge the NiMHs?'

If you are planningon fast charging, you need to ahve a charger that
will do NiMHs or else you will cook them to death.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:22 PM

Default NiMh or Nicd

Yeah i know about the charging. I've gotta couple 300 NiMh packs for my parkflyers. I use the Airtronics wall charger on a timer for those as I do not yet have that Dymond charger that does 1-12 cells. I've only used nicds for reciever packs and have always used my buddies Sirius charger at the field if they run low. I'm thinking the 1700 NiCds would be better because you can overcharge them and they will take it. Not that I ever do but I know the NiCds will last for awhile.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:49 PM

Default NiMh or Nicd

NiMh or Nicd? - I have been flying with NiMh for 4 years now. I have 1600ma packs in all 8 of my transmitters and 5 cell 6 volt 1600ma packs in all 11 of my airplanes. I do the same voltage under load check before each flight on my flight packs from before the first flight down to the last. My transmitters have there own volt meters. I can leave a tx turned on for more than 8 hours and still be in the safe voltage range. I full charge on the way home all the batterys using either the Sirrus or Ace Smart Charger leaving all fully charged be fore putting away. I use the standard chargers that came with the radios to charge at 50ma for one hour each day ( done by a programable timer ) keeping them topped off. Dose this work, it has for me for many years as I did the same when using nicd's. The correct charging equipment in my beleif is where the success comes from. Hope this helps.
ps: check web site = www.radicalrc.com for more information