Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NI-MH battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:02 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NI-MH battery charging

Is it safe to charge a NI-MH battery on my nicad charger?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: NI-MH battery charging

Depends on the charger, if it is a slow charger (charging at 0.1C or close to that value) you will have no problems using it. If it is a fast charger and depends on reading the peak voltage, you may have problems as the NiMh peak is not as great as the NiCad peak is. Really need more info to correctly answer your question. What size batter pack, no. cells etc.? What charger? You can find some good info on www.rcbatteryclinic.com on what is acceptable.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the info. From the forum on batteries it dosn't appear that I will have a problem. Here is what I have- an 8-cell 9.6v 1800 mah pack. I use the Ace Super digi-pulse multi charger and Ace Super 3 Digipace cycler. These unit work well for me.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 PM
My Feedback: (16)

You can charge a NiMH pack on a NiCad charger but it will not detect when the pack is full. I would just time the charge or monitor the voltage. Either way, is good. I have charged NiMH packs with a NiCad charger. I wait until the voltage stops climbing every minute then say it is done. Never had a problem with that method.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

halflight,
As I read it your Ace Super Digipulse Multi-Charger - 2521 is NiMh capable. The ACE 2522 Super Digipace 3 uses a Recharge Current: RX 35, 70, or 140 mA TX 70 mA. As Rodney has said above a slow charge is an acceptable method of charging NiMh batteries. Since a slow charge is C/10 I would use the 35 mA rate for 350 mAh packs the 70 mA rate for 700 mAh packs and the 140 mA rate for 1400 mAh packs.

Geistware - first I've heard of monitoring the output voltage while using a NiCd charger to charge NiMh packs. It makes sense. I usually use the hand thermometer. When the pack starts getting warm it's time to pull the plug. I would really recommend to anyone trying to charge NiMh packs on a NiCd only delta peak fast charger that they buy the proper charger. It's too easy to get distracted and forget to monitor the pack.

John