Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

30% gasser batteries and regulators need advice and pictures

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

30% gasser batteries and regulators need advice and pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 PM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30% gasser batteries and regulators need advice and pictures

I'm trying to understand what I really need for my airplane. Currently I'm running single NIMH packs on ignit. and rx. 1900 and 1100 mah. switches are mpi heavy duty with charge jack built in. I know I want to go with fromeco stuff, but i'm not sure which stuff to get. so my questions are:

Do I want Peerless or Relion, and is it worth it to get the peerless?

Do I need to run 2 switches, or is one regulated reliaswitch enough? How do you hookup 2 switches

I don't think my Promax Activator will charge these batteries, so do I need their reliacharger, or is there something cheaper that will do just as well?

I want to protect my investment at all costs, but i don't want to waste money. can i save some of my switches and just go with regulators, or what should i do?

Feel free to answer one or all the questions, and thanks

Old 07-30-2006, 06:03 PM
tuwood

Default RE: 30% gasser batteries and regulators need advice and pictures

Hey Erik, where do you fly at?

I have a recent fromeco setup wity my 30% Edge & I'd be more than happy to let you take a look.
I went with the Fromeco redundant IMAC pack which has 3 2400 relions & 3 regulators and I'm very happy with it so far. I honestly don't know the difference between the relion & the peerless.

I personally will never have anything but dual batteries & switches on my larger planes because I lost the Ultimate in my avatar due to a switch failure in flight.

As far as how do you set it up; it's pretty simple, you just plug the second battery into an open slot on your RX. There's a good write up about it here: http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/parallel.html

Old 07-30-2006, 06:35 PM
erikpmort

hey thanks for the info. I noticed the 2400's are really light too, which is nice! I'm trying to get a charger that will charge the Li-Ions first - hobbico accucyle so i can charge both at once, and then i think i will order up all the good stuff.

I fly at the twin cities eagle squadron's field.

what leads do you buy with the batteries so that it matches everything? I guess i need to mention that i'm going to buy a 2400 relion pack and a super regulated reliaswitch. JR type leads

thanks for the response! I am worried about loosing the plane now that i've got it just the way i like it. Switch failures are so common, I had one happen on a helicopter, but I was lucky- i lost it and gained it back just in time to auto it!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
tuwood

Cool, I fly over at Bud's too.

The relions & regulators come with the standard "JR" type connectors and will plug straight into pretty much any standard switch so you'll be fine with your MPI charge switches. (that's what I'm running on mine) Just order the battery package plain (no wiring options) and you'll be fine.

Here's some pic's I took while bench testing everything on the RX setup. I also went with a manual choke to save weight & bought a smart-fly ignition cutoff.

I also use the Accucycle Elite to charge mine & it works great.

Here's a pic of my Edge, so you can come say hi when you see me at the field.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85437.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	499468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57342.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	499469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13389.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	499470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65031.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	499471  
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
erikpmort

cool thanks for the pictures, i'll see you out there this week maybe?