Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How to charge field battery encl. in box

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How to charge field battery encl. in box

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Old Dutch
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to charge field battery encl. in box

I have always had an accessable 12V battery. New field box encloses it completely now. Directions on power panel says to remove panel connections when charging battery. I had planned to charge through starter ports in panel. What's the problem with this? I can't get an answer from the distributor. Can you help me out on this? Thanx........
Old 01-03-2003, 02:02 PM
EdMan-RCU

I've always charged my 12volt battery through the starter jacks/port without any problems. Which power panel do you have?

EdMan
Old 01-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

The caveat on charging ANY battery in an enclosed space is the possible accumulation of hydrogen. This is more predominate on Lead Acid as hydrogen generation is a normal by-product of any amount of overcharge. I know you may think that your lead acid gel cell is sealed but it isn't. Any accumulation of hydrogen combined with an ignition source (switch, electric motor, etc. ) and you have the potential for rapid disassembly of the device. As long as there are some vents that will allow the hydrogen to escape you will be OK.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Old Dutch

Default Power Panel

Ed, thanks for your reply. I have a Sig FieldBoss PP. It has the usual stuff, like starter ports, glow plug ports (sets V automatically, no adjusting needed) and also has a l.2V charger for your glo starter, and what I really like, is that it has a built in analog ESV. In addition, an LED lets you know if your 12V battery has enough charge. In my opinion this is he most useful panel on the market. About the only thing that it doesn't have is a built in field charger for TX & RX. The panel has protection against cross polarity, so I can't figure out why the concern for disconnecting. Anyway, I'll do what I suspect everyone else does, and charge the 12V through the starter ports. Thanks for your interest........
Old 01-03-2003, 02:27 PM
EdMan-RCU

Red,
Thanks, thats good to know. I guess that's why the battery compartment on my field box has several vents built in!

EdMan
Old 01-03-2003, 02:33 PM
EdMan-RCU

Hey,
That does sound like a useful power panel!
Maybe Red can commit on this, as your pp does seem to have more devices that could possibly be damaged. Also as stated by Red, does your battery compartment have ventilation?

EdMan
Old 01-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Strange as it may seem I never used a Power Panel. In fact I gave a very elegant one away I won at a meet. I prefer the flexibility of a starter battery directly on my Sullivan starter (10 Ni-Cd 1400 Cs) and a separate glo driver (with meter). I never liked the starter cord/glo driver cord - prop relationship. :-)
Old 01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Old Dutch

Default power panel

Yes the field box has vents. Thanks Red for your comments on the hyro. I forgot to mention 2 switches on the Sig panel. One is for the electric fuel pump. ( if you use one there is provision for soldering the connectors to it on the bottom of the panel . The other sw is a 3 way i.e, power-off-ESV. I'm with you Red, in that I would not think of using a glo igniter attached with a cord. With my luck it would be attacked by the prop, my foot, or whatever. I do however find the panel a convenient way to power my starter (battery & starter all carried in convenient tote with the panel) and to power my electric pump. My pump is a Slimline 2000 that has unfailingly delivered 50 gallons of glo fuel and still going! All in all I think that the precaution on disconecting the battery while charging could be with respect to eliminating any possible sparking if an idividual would try to use the panel while charging. So, plenty of venting and non-use while charging. ......