Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How low to discharge the NiMH AA batteries???

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How low to discharge the NiMH AA batteries???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low to discharge the NiMH AA batteries???

I have a radio pack (8 AA cells) Sanyo NiMH 2500mAh that I used for about 1 year. Have always used the Triton to cycle the pack about every 1-1 1/2 months. The Triton was set to discharge the pack to 7.2Vdc (0.9Vdc per cell) and now the pack goes dead in about 7-8 days unused. Have been told that the most I should discharge the pack is at 8.8Vdc (1.1Vdc per cell) but have read last night that the 1.2v NiMH battery SHOULD be discharged to 0.9Vdc...So which is the safe/right voltage to discharge an 8 AA pack?
Right now I'm looking to spend another $50 to get another pack...[&o]
Old 09-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How low to discharge the NiMH AA batteries???

I guess it depends on how close you want to get to the edge. There is very little capacity between 1.1 volts and 0.9 volts/cell. The 0.9 volts is used manufacturers for single cells to verify the rated the capacity. In multicell packs taking it to 0.9 volts/cell risks reversal if there is some mismatch in capacity between the cells, therefore 1.1 volts is a safer level.