Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Triton charger - help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:50 AM
stelios
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton charger - help

I recently bought the Triton cycler and face a problem with cycling my NiCd batteries. I have programmed battery memory number (01) as folowing:

- Battery type NiCd
- Capacity 1000 mAh
- Discharge volt/cell 1,1 volts
- Number of cells 4
- Safety timer - 990 min
- Peak sensitivity 5 mV

then I place discharge rate at 0,3A and charge rate at 0,1A and start cycling (Dsch/Chrg). What I noticed is that Triton do not cut discharging at 4,4 volts as it should (1,1x4) but continues much lower (3,...). When finished on the data view display it gives me an average discharging voltage of i.e. 3,86 volts.

Is that normal? According to what I think average discharging voltage should always be higher than dicharge cutting voltage programmed by me at 1,1 x 4 = 4,4 volts.

Thanks

Stelios
Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Triton charger - help

During the "cycling" function , it uses a fixed value of .8 volts per cell instead of your programmed 1.1 volts. This may account for the difference.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:26 AM
stelios
My Feedback: (4)

Durring discharging on cycling I even saw 2,76 voltage which is 0,69 per cell! Can that be correct?

This thing is going to spoil my batteries if I use the Dsch/Chrg cycling fuction a lot.

On the other hand If I use the Discharge alone (where I put the total voltage cutting) I am going to loose time cause it is going to be needed from me to switch Triton to Charge manually.

Thanks for the input.

Stelios
Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

I have the same problem with the one I just bought. When it discharged down to 3 volts I disconnected it for fear that it would ruin the battery. I asked a friend at the field (who has one) and he said it may be defective. I was planning to call Tower and send it back but would like to hear more responses to this to see if that's normal.

Bill
Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 AM
guver

I think they are all that way. The ones I've checked are not real consistant when using cycle. Using the discharge function and presetting the voltage cut-off should prove to be more accurate and acceptable.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:35 AM
dougwill

Morning Perkinsm and all
I have read thru the book and all I can say is 'give me some aspirin" . I read somewhere in the book to set the voltage of the battery (lipos) to 3.6 X #cells . In my case in charging 11 volt-800 mah battery. Do you set the voltage to 11.1 or 10.8?

Doug
Old 01-16-2007, 03:33 PM
guver

Use 11.1 for lipos, use 10.8 setting for the older li-ions.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:06 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

The lower voltage is under load. The ending discharge voltage is "resting" voltage. The worst thing you can do is watch the charger while it is "doing its thing" Don't worry about it. You won't damage the packs.