Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Lipo cell goes dead-reading 0 volts

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo cell goes dead-reading 0 volts

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 AM
duaneh1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo cell goes dead-reading 0 volts

This has happened to me twice, lipo for a Blade CX and 8c 2100mah lipo. I charged them, few days later, they don't work, check each cell, discover that one of the cells has gone completely dead. Does anybody know what causes this. Is it normal for cells to occasionally spontaneously just die?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM
richrd

Default RE: Lipo cell goes dead-reading 0 volts

LiPO sensitive to just about everything. Since you supplied no information I believe this is where you start. 8 Cells are they in series if so my first thought is cell balance any unbalance and only once over discharge then one cell below 2 Volts “or reverse puffing of that cell” and it’s history. So you must start in the beginning and check.
1 Current Drawn
2. LVC how you stop. long life needs 20% capacity left over stop at each cell 3.5V no load few times to get run timer down. LVC most will ruin LiPO if not programmable.
3. Voltage each before and after charge

Hope this helps get you started on right track
Rich
Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 AM
duaneh1

The lipo went dead for no reason, charged it, voltage was fine-didnt abuse it, tried to use it a week later, one of the cells just died. Happened to 2 of my lipos, one was a common sense 8c, 2100. The other was the lipo that came with the Blade CX
Old 09-26-2006, 12:59 PM
richrd

Since it happen twice my guess is the same mis use. My first test would be LVC again LiPO CAN NOT go once below 3V per cell then some damage or a total loss. Do you have any voltage reading of your battery after you stop flying. Are you quiting after it will not fly any more because thats to late on a standard ESC.
Rich
Old 09-27-2006, 08:55 AM
duaneh1

Yes I check the voltage after every run, With the CX when it gets sluggish and can barely hover-I immdiately cutoff. With the CX battery, I had left it in the eflite charger for several days-maybe that battery self disharged to 0, however, one of the cells is fine. On the 8C 2100, the last time I used it-it was fine, did not over discharge. When I charged it-it was fine, checked it-reading about 12.5 volts, about a week or so later-checked it again because was about to fly-reading 8.3 volts, checked cells, one of them was completely dead.