Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123racing Batts in my boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123racing Batts in my boat

Hello, I am looking to run these cells in my brushless rigger. Right now I am running 12 3800mah NiMH cells with a 9XL motor and Hacker 70 opto ESC. I would like to run some LiPo cells soon but these cells seem like the ticket. What would you recommend for my boat that will give me close to the same voltage and run time aswhat I have now?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:12 PM
A123 Racing

Default RE: A123racing Batts in my boat

Hello Raydee,

Thanks for your interest in our batteries. There are two option that would work to replace your NiMH batteries that you are currently using.

Option 1) you can purchase two of our Hypersonic 2300 6.6V batteries.

This will give you runtime that is a little bit less (our 2300 batteries typically compare to a 3000 or 3300 NiMH) and comparable voltage (13.2 as opposed to 14.4). This setup would also weigh half of what your NiMHs currently weigh (battery setup weight = 310g). Because of the voltage difference the boat may run a little bit slower without some small changes, though sometimes the weight loss in batteries makes up for it. Because of the amperage capabilities that our batteries have you could simply change to a larger prop. this would allow you to run at the lower voltage, but draw more amps to keep the speeds you are used to seeing.

Option 2) You can purchase two of our Hypersonic 4600 6.6V batteries.

This will give you more run time, the same voltage as discussed above, and a little bit less weight (620g).

Both of these batteries are offered as a combo with our charger that will help save some money. The charger will charge the Hypersonic 2300 batteries in about 15 minutes each, and it will charge the Hypersonic 4600 batteries in about 30 minutes each.

Please let me know if you have any more questions,

Brian

[link=http://www.a123racing.com][/link]
Old 09-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Raydee

Thanks for the info. After looking at my setup and the possibilitys that I have now I think i would be much better off switching to the Hacker Master 77 Opto ESC. That way I can run up to 10 LIPO cells. With that ESC I would run two 3 cell packs in series for over 18 volts. My only concern is the hump pack config that you have on your site. I would be much better off with two 3 cell flat packs than the hump packs in my hull. I have read quite a few posts so far on these cells and have been following them since they came out and from what I have read the ONLY safe way to config these batts are side by side with batt bars and NO end to end soldering. As most of the boat guys will tell you end to end soldering has the least resistance and is the best way to config a pack in a boat. Has anything changed since I read that info? If so I might see if its possible to buy loose cells and make my own packs to try out. I am sure the weight diff between running 16 NiMH cells and 6 LiIon cells will be nice and also less cramped in my hull.

Again thanks for the info and the fast replies.

Ray D.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:45 PM
A123 Racing

Hey Raydee,

We do sell individual cells to hobbyists looking to make their own packs. Also we have put some small nickel tabs on the loose cells so that people can solder them together as they see fit. You do not want to be soldering to the cell at all. The tabs we have put on are resistance welded onto the cell and the connection is rated for more than 100A continuous. If you get the loose cells you can use these tabs to solder them "End to End" where you solder the two tabs together and fold them flat against the battery.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Old 09-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Raydee

Brian, it looks like the Loose cell option is the one for me. I was looking online (Ebay) at the Dewalt packs but I like the tab idea that come on the individual cells. I am sure the start up price for 10 cells and a good charger is high but then again all RC racing costs a lot of money anyway
Old 09-28-2006, 03:48 PM
A123 Racing

Hey Raydee,

I will keep an eye out for your order. We certainly do recommend the cells we sell with the tabs. It is extremely easy to damage cells when taking them out of a Dewalt pack. Our cells ensure that you will get the performance that we are advertising.

Brian

Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Blackjack52

rePosted in SV27 Batts Forum

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#5053458