Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

5 cells unregulated

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 cells unregulated

Anyone using the new JR r2000 reciever on 5 cells unregulated?

DM
Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: 5 cells unregulated

Mike,
There is never an issue with 5 cell as far as any modern receiver goes, they actually operate internally down around 3V, they have their own built in regulator[8D], this gives a safety margin when a cell shorts in a 4 cell pack, had it happen to me once, servos were reeeal slow but the receiver hung in there.
Now servos, that's another story, make sure to check the specs for your particular servo
Pete
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

You had a cell short in a fully charged pack during flight? May we assume you did a preflight loaded voltage check and all was well? The question then becomes where did the all the energy go when the cell shorted? There was a lot to be dumped and it would leave some evidence. I am interested because in my 50+ years of R/C I have never seen a sell short in flight, switches and wiring short, but never an internal cell short.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Red, I had it happen once in some 50 years of flying NiCads. No electrical damage was done, just a crashed plane.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:17 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Red,
Do you realy want to know, actually the cell was shorted or dead from before preflight, got no response from the ESV, but the radio seeemed "fine", assssumed that the connector on the ESV was bad (wrong) well I got away with it that one time, wont ever pull that one again
Regards,
Pete

P.S. My Astro Watt meter does not "lie" to me, it tells me exactly what I need to know, if the meter shows 10A at mid stick and the max current target for WOT that my system is good for is 10A, I power down real fast[X(] Always enjoy reading the Battery Clinic.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Red, I had it happen once in some 50 years of flying NiCads. No electrical damage was done, just a crashed plane.
And who did the autopsy on the pack to determine the cell shorted in flight and not as a result of the crash?