Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Finally-a decent job of soldering

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Finally-a decent job of soldering

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
jollycub
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally-a decent job of soldering

I have started toi really enjoy flying GWS-Slowsticks. After shelling out $20+ for battery packs (NiMih), I decided to build my own. I bought several 2/3 A batteries, shrink wrap, and connectors and started to build battery packs. I used a 30 watt soldering iron since I had one and research in forums such as this suggested that a 30 watt iron was big enough. First I tinned the batteries but the solder didn't seem to pool on the batteries like the instructions said they would. Then some other advice that I got suggested using desoldering braid as the connector between cells since it was cheaper and I didn't have any battery bars.
When I soldered the cells together, some of the connectors stuck and some didn't. I decided to get a 100 watt soldering gun since it appeared that the 30 watts didn't seem to be big enough. After I tried the larger gun, I still had problems. Then I bought a Hobbico 60 watt soldering iron. I though I would practice on the cells that I couldn't solder before and wow!!! what a difference the new iron made. I was able to re-solder all of the cells together with no problems. THe solder flowed very quickly and the connections look very tight. When I was researching where to buy the soldering iron, it was intreresting to see the various soldering irons and the specs that they were rated at. Some of the lower wattage soldering irons seemed to have a higher temperature rating than some of the higher rated soldering irons. And I can tell you from personal experiance that the 60 watt iron was much hotter than the 100 watt gun. I did solder some Dean's connectors, and the soldering gun did a better job than the 60 watt iron did. The iron would get the connector so hot, it would take quite a long time for the solder to cool down and solidify. The gun melted the solder from the wire to the connector and cooled off much quicker.
For batteries, I am going to use the 60 watt iron, but for wire to banana plugs or Dean's connector, I am going to use the gun.

After seeing so many posts about soldering batteries, I just had to share my story...Just like the sailor walking down the street when he spotted a priest. He walked up to the priest and said "Father, I just kissed 34 women." The priest was taken aback and asked "Would you like to confess?" Heavens no!" said the sailor. "I'm not even Catholic, I just had to tell someone!"
Old 10-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally-a decent job of soldering

Good info on the gun & iron, ive always been told not to use a gun but always thought it
would be better for soldering bigger connections,like the deans and larger wires.
Before you got the 60 watt iron, did you clean the tip of the old one with a wet sponge ?
that seems to help a lot too! also did the old iron have a wide flat tip or a pointed tip ?
I need a new iron and trying to decide which to buy.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Weller adjustable 40W and the hammerhead tip (both from New Creations) for soldering batteries.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
jollycub
My Feedback: (5)

I used to do fine soldering on printed circuit boards, so the tips on my soldering iron all were small and pointed. What I have
learned is that the bigger the tip, the longer it holds the heat so it is easier to solder on larger surfaces. The Hobbico iron has a screwdriver blade, and I think this is one of the reasons it solders batteries better.

Yes, I clean the tips of my soldering irons and guns with a wet paper towel and re-tin them every 3 or 4 connections that I solder.

The Hobbico iron is a good value at $5.99? $6.99? at Hobbytown. I also purchased replacement tips at the time that I bought the iron. Later on down the road, it might not be so easy to replace the tips for the iron. Also the tips are not threaded which means that you don't have to match threads on tips that are not the same brand. You also can purchase hammer head tips for it as well.

It did work better for me to solder batteries with the iron and connectors with the gun. But that is me.

Good Luck
Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 PM
greywolf187

has anybody used 14 gage solid copper wire (same stuff as in your walls)as the connectors for your batteries??? I made up some pack a week ago and this seems to be doing fine. I just used a hammer to pound the wire to flat them out a little, then sanded and then tinned it then cut it to size that's all it took. I only need a few strips and none of the local hobby stores had the connector I needed. so when I got home I just made what I needed. it is ALOT cheaper than the connector I wanted and a lot more heavy duty.

just thought I would share this.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greywolf, the only problem I see in what you did is the lack of strain relief. Under vibration (like a one cylinder glow motor) the connections are apt to eventually fail. I use solder wick instead and leave just a bit of slack between the connections to minimize any failures due to vibration or shock.